• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

I'm up to my NECK in gasoline!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
I'm crowdsourcing some intellect and advice from the worldwide HBA brain trust, on finding the right fuel filler neck and matching fuel cap for my Kolb LSA/UL project.

I am already aware of www.fillernecksupply.com
I am already aware of jegs.com
I am already aware of summitracing.com

I bought a 14 gallon plastic fuel tank for my Kolb that replaces the two 5 gallon plastic jugs. This allowed me to move the fuel location forward from where it was, and the fuel tank is now roughly under the center of gravity, which will address my near-tail-heavy condition found during the weight and balance process.

I believe the tank has a 1.25 inch filler neck. I put a 90 degree rubber hose elbow (cut from a molded radiator hose section) onto this filler neck with a hose clamp. Now I need to find some way to put a fuel cap onto the end of this 1.25" ID hose.

All of the filler neck parts that I can find on the internet come in just about every size EXCEPT 1.25" There are thousands of 2 inch filler necks and matching caps, and 1.75", and even some 1.5 inch filler necks (bungs) and matching fuel caps. But I cannot find an inexpensive, light weight, simple fuel filler/cap combination that I can slide into a 1.25 inch inside diameter hose.

I am happy with plastic, I am happy with thin light aluminum. There is no pressure differential or force this part has to withstand. I would rather not have a 2 pound steel unit, or a thick wall fancy billet mechined one that costs $40-60.

Bayonet style seal is OK. Coarse thread (like a plastic Jerry can) is OK. Fine threaded is OK.

If someone knows of a cheap lightweight product that will do this job, I'd like to know about it.

Back