• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

I'm tired of waiting!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jman

Site Developer
Well, the time has come for me to either commit to building SOMETHING or jump of a bridge! I've been waiting until I can afford to build my dream aircraft for so long that I could have built two fun and interesting projects in the mean time. So, I've decided to just say the heck with it and get a project going that I can afford and will be fun to fly. It may not have everything I wanted, but at least I'll be enjoying a project that, in the end, will result in a safe and flyable machine.

So, the decision has been made to build but I would like some help picking that perfect design. I'm about 75% set on the Hummelbird but I am interested to know about any other designs that fall into the same category (read VERY CHEAP). Here are my requirements:

1. Less than 12K complete with engine.
2. Reasonably proven design.
3. Good handling.
4. Good looking. I would like it to have that "real airplane" look.
5. Must have at least 1 seat :D. Two seats would be really nice, but for the price I'm looking at I won't hold my breath.
6. Any construction method is OK.

Some designs I'm also considering but I don't have enough info to rule one way or the other:

1. Volksplane
2. Bradley Aerobat. To meet the price requirement, I would need an alternative 80 HP engine. They recommend the revmaster 2100.
3. KR-1. Anyone know the finished cost on the KR?

Anyway, if anyone can think of something that may fit into the above category, I'd love to hear about it. I finish Army Flight School near the end of the year and will be moving to my new duty station at that time. I plan on getting started as soon as I make the move so I do have a little bit of time to finalize the decision and pick up any tools I may need. Thanks for the help and I look forward to hearing your ideas.

Jake

Back