Im in France visiting looking to meet HBA members if there are any near me.

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

addicted2climbing

Hello All,

I am currently in France visiting my wifes family. We will be here until 11/02/22 and I will have some downtime and thought I might reach out to try and meet up with any HBA members in the area. Also maybe go for a ride in a plane if anyone is able. Our Home base is in the Gers (Samatan & Lartigue) but we plan to visit family in various locations. Bordeaux, Brittany, Collioure, Normandy, Biaritz, Toulouse and possibly a few others. If anyone is near any of these places and want to meet up let me know. I visited the gliderport in Auch and plan to try and take a ride there while I am here.

While in Collioure we may drive into Spain as well.

Open to any suggestions on aviation related places to see while driving between locations.

Take care,

Marc

Manudubourg

Marc,
i missed you by one year ahahah.
isn’t the Francazal / Toulouse airshow this week end? La Patrouille de France should be there.
at Graulhet, you might be able to see some old planes at replic’air. Even get a glider ride at association tarnaise de vol a voile (ATVV). If you decide to do so, tell Emmanuel sent you there!
Toulouse:
- Aeroscopia museum in Toulouse: Concord, A380, A400, Mirage, gupil…
- Les ailes anciennes
- Airbus: don’t know if you can still have a tour of production line. Check with Aeroscopia
- la hall de la machine
- la piste des geants on the former Montaudran / aeropostale runway.

there several glider clubs near the pyrennees. the most famous being probably Luchon. But Saint Gaudens or Saint girons will do.

i think there is a floatplane / aeropostale museum at Biscarrosse lake.

exian is (was) in Bordeaux if i recall correctly.

i guess you know about non aviation thing to visit!

enjoy your stay and of course the food

Emmanuel

addicted2climbing

Marc,
i missed you by one year ahahah.
isn’t the Francazal / Toulouse airshow this week end? La Patrouille de France should be there.
at Graulhet, you might be able to see some old planes at replic’air. Even get a glider ride at association tarnaise de vol a voile (ATVV). If you decide to do so, tell Emmanuel sent you there!
Toulouse:
- Aeroscopia museum in Toulouse: Concord, A380, A400, Mirage, gupil…
- Les ailes anciennes
- Airbus: don’t know if you can still have a tour of production line. Check with Aeroscopia
- la hall de la machine
- la piste des geants on the former Montaudran / aeropostale runway.

there several glider clubs near the pyrennees. the most famous being probably Luchon. But Saint Gaudens or Saint girons will do.

i think there is a floatplane / aeropostale museum at Biscarrosse lake.

exian is (was) in Bordeaux if i recall correctly.

i guess you know about non aviation thing to visit!

enjoy your stay and of course the food

Emmanuel
Thanks for the reply Emmanuel,

Thanks for the info on the airshow at Toulouse, I may try and go on Saturday but it looks like rain is in the forecast. Sunday is better but we leave for Collioure Monday morning so going Sunday may be difficult as we need to prepare and everything takes longer with a 3 yr old. My friend in Blagnac is one of the pilots for the Breguet XIV and every time I am here visiting I try and go for a ride in it but its always at some other location. Figures this year its in Toulouse while I am here and my friend the pilot is in the USA on vacation. He returns toward the end of our trip and we may meet him in Luchon for a vintage airplane meeting. He has a J3 Cub and his friend has a Stearman. So hopefully I can go for a ride in Luchon. I have been to aeroscopia before but may go again with my son when we return to the Gers.

Thanks for the info on the other locations. I will look into those.

So if I missed you by a year where did you move to?

Manudubourg

Is the stearman based at Muret?
if you go to Luchon, i encourage you to go for a glider ride. You won’t be disappointed.
i lived in Toulouse for few years. Moved back in the US / Portsmouth, NH a year ago.

addicted2climbing

Is the stearman based at Muret?
if you go to Luchon, i encourage you to go for a glider ride. You won’t be disappointed.
i lived in Toulouse for few years. Moved back in the US / Portsmouth, NH a year ago.
Do you know Jerome Aygat? His friend owns the Stearman and he has a J3 Cub and an ASH-25 sailplane. Im unsure if he will have his sailplane in Luchon at same time but I asked him and fingers crossed. I do know Luchon is where his sailplane is based.

addicted2climbing

Hello All,

Seems everyone is quite a bit east of where we will be. We are currently in Collioure until 10/06 then head back to the Toulouse area to see more family. Then to Normandy Area and then to Bayonne then back to the Gers near Auch. If anyone is in these genera areas let me know. I have a good friend in Bassel Switzerland but sadly we are unable to meet up so will plan for net year when we visit. Maybe I can meet up with those who have posted on my next trip.

addicted2climbing

Have fun, don't get too fat on the French food, and find a way to go flying :)

BTW Steve and I just got a Tri-Pacer project and a pre-WW2 Stinson 10A basket case donated :) !
I actually lose weight when here.. no burritos for me to eat... We eat less actually and with Lucas been walking everywhere. Is the tripacer a basket case? As soon as I return I am hoping to dig into the 1-26B and try and get it airworthy or make the decision to pull the covering and restore it if needed first.

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
The Milk Stool is complete but needs a normal restoration/recover. Not a huge deal, it's on its gear under a chiken coop in Palmdale. The Stinson is in boxes, but he has new Spruce for the spars and half of it is indoors, including the wood stabilizer. The Stinson should be of fairly high interest to antique people, and we will find a new home for it. If we can find the funding, we're talking about keeping the Tri-Pacer as another youth project alongside the 750. You see, we learned our lesson after the Cygnet... we'll only accept chapter build projects that you can fit in :)

Bill-Higdon

The Milk Stool is complete but needs a normal restoration/recover. Not a huge deal, it's on its gear under a chiken coop in Palmdale. The Stinson is in boxes, but he has new Spruce for the spars and half of it is indoors, including the wood stabilizer. The Stinson should be of fairly high interest to antique people, and we will find a new home for it. If we can find the funding, we're talking about keeping the Tri-Pacer as another youth project alongside the 750. You see, we learned our lesson after the Cygnet... we'll only accept chapter build projects that you can fit in :)
Does the Stinson use the same plywood "Widgets" that the L-5 used to tie the wing ribs to the spar?

Puggo1

Hello All,

I am currently in France visiting my wifes family. We will be here until 11/02/22 and I will have some downtime and thought I might reach out to try and meet up with any HBA members in the area. Also maybe go for a ride in a plane if anyone is able. Our Home base is in the Gers (Samatan & Lartigue) but we plan to visit family in various locations. Bordeaux, Brittany, Collioure, Normandy, Biaritz, Toulouse and possibly a few others. If anyone is near any of these places and want to meet up let me know. I visited the gliderport in Auch and plan to try and take a ride there while I am here.

While in Collioure we may drive into Spain as well.

Open to any suggestions on aviation related places to see while driving between locations.

Take care,

Marc
Hi Marc, you could try the RSA (=EAA) to make contact with the local builders. I'm hoping to vist them next year from our UK home. Enjoy your trip.
Puggo

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
Does the Stinson use the same plywood "Widgets" that the L-5 used to tie the wing ribs to the spar?
I didn't get that close of a look at it. I recall the ribs are aluminum but the spars are spruce, and the guy has brand new spruce planks for it. The H stabilizer is all wood, and sheeted in plywood, and appears to be in very good shape.