Quantcast

I'm envious of you guys....

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
Does anyone else ever read the magazine articles / websites and see EAA chapters and individual groups of guys that are building and flying together and then feel a bit envious of them ?
The Dawn Patrol,The Flying Cowboys...etc.
No.....just me ???

Many years ago,before the FAA ruined ultralight activity,there were large groups of guys building and flying together around here,they were comparable to car & motorcycle clubs......they even had an official group : The B.U.G group...Bluegrass Ultralight Group...it was awesome.
But once the FAA changed their rules and ultralight instruction became next to impossible to find,well,those days faded away....never to return.

If you read Kitplanes magazine you will see the Dawn Patrol doing their thing and having fun or check out the web and watch the Flying Cowboys out tearing it up and having a blast.

I belong to the local EAA chapter and while things are getting a bit better,at a snail's pace,there just doesn't seem to be any bond between the members.
It's impossible to get anyone to commit to a common project or devote their time for anything productive.
There are 3 individuals building projects in our Chapter,I am one of them,but they are doing it alone because nobody shows any interest towards building or anything that isn't a certified aircraft.

Am I the only one that watches other groups build & fly together and then feel a bit envious of them ?

Kevin

TFF

Remember the high profile gets the coverage. My EAA chapter is just like yours. The Dawn Patrol has a group that is in the same general location. Flying Cowboys fly to meet up. They might be regional, but they have to be more organized to set dates and locations. Builders tend to stay in their own shop instead of eating pancakes.

TarDevil

I'm not only envious, but overwhelmed at the knowledge and abilities of this group in aggregate.

I made a bunch of bad choices in life and my dream of ever building a plane... even a simple ultralight... gets more impossible every day. 65 is a bad age to start a build.

But I love chatting with everyone here and I still love to learn. Thanks to everyone for being so accommodating.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Used to be an ultalight club about 50 miles south of me with 50+ active members. Had a nice 4K' river bottom runway rented and the land owner put up about 15 tee hangers to rent out for a small amount. The old owner had a Cessna 337 and liked all the activity. Had lots of the members camping out the weekends and lots of fun. Had a small building for a kitchen and restrooms. I used to fly down and hangout with them for the weekend.
Now the club is gone and owner of the field died and his son closed the airport down. Sad.

I knew the owner very well and at one time the old owner was thinking about selling the farm with the 4K grass field airport. I looked at the property and wife and I decided we would buy it. He changed his mind and said his son promised that when he died he would keep the airport open.

Last edited:

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
Pops...........THAT !
THAT !
THAT !
THAT !
THAT !

We had d*mn near the exact same scenario that you described going on here except it was the FAA that ruined it for everyone by making training next to impossible to obtain.

I miss THAT !!!

Kevin

lr27

I checked into our local EAA, but it seemed like no one was building any more. I know a couple of guys from our RC club who have built or restored airplanes.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
“Be the change that you wish to see in the world.” + "If you built it, he will come." = "Start your own darn flying club!" Seriously, some of our members may be such remote places that it's hard to find a critical mass of interested people, but for most of us that's not such an issue. What it takes is someone willing to put in the time and quite possibly some money to start things off.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
We had a real active PPG group in our area until the airport we were using closed down and everybody drifted apart.

don january

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I can only speak for myself but I'm sure Pops and many others will agree that this Forum it self is much like a club. If your beyond the wishing stage and actually trying to get your aircraft built and off the ground this place has become a very strong support group for at least myself. I have found members that are like a brother or sister sharing a fox hole trying to keep awake and the only thing different is if you fall asleep on duty your build is the victim. Years ago many crop dusting friends of dad and myself would gather at a central area in the Dakotas and have a pot luck fly in and share what was being built or repaired and just have a plain old good time with Aircraft as the center of the stage. I think the unity is still there but the numbers have fallen by the way side in all areas of flying.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Video of Kevin flying his MiniMax at the clubs field. He put about 1050 hours on this MM and then install the 042 engine. Kevin has built 4 MM's. Kevin and another club member that was in the 80's that flew Corsairs in WW-2, flew a formation routine at local airshows in their MM's.
This field closed down in about 2016.

Last edited:

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Envious? No. I fly for myself and if my interests happen to align with others, great. As it happens, I do have a core group of like minded people to fly with, but my flying happiness is absolutely NOT dependant on the participation of others (beyond my wife). I'm just as happy flying across the country as a single ship as I am in a formation of 6 flying to breakfast.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
I'm happy that working on/flying a plane is something that can be enjoyed alone. That doesn't mean company is unwelcome, and it is great to have this HBA community, EAA, etc where like-minded folks can learn from each other and swap stories. But, if a person seeks the company of others for its own sake, if they "charge up" when surrounded by others, if they are the classic extrovert, then building and flying planes is not the first thing I'd think of as a naturally good fit. Sure, socializing can be fun and meaningful, but if it is an end in itself, I think other activities lend themselves to it better than aviation does.

Mark (resident curmudgeon)

Last edited:

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
I will agree that a vast majority of builds are done in private and I actually enjoy spending time out in my shop working on my project alone.
But,genetically,we are programmed to be social creatures.
With today's technology you can view someones project on the other side of the world within seconds using your computer or phone and speak to that individual as if they were standing in front of you.
So what's the point in having fly-ins,Sun & Fun,OshKosh,etc.....?
Everyone could just phone it in and not burn any time and fuel...
The point is that like minded individuals have a need/desire to socialize from time to time and exchange ideas,information,admirations,etc.
Why are your kids in cub scouts,boy scouts,girl scouts,sports,etc. ?
You can teach them everything they will ever learn from those organizations yourself....except social skills.
I understand building and flying can be a solo venture a huge portion of the time,and I enjoy that portion of it, but dismissing the desire to socialize with others and viewing that scenario as "needy" is the wrong viewpoint in my opinion.
We're all in this together.....let's have fun and share it with friends.

Kevin

thump

YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD Mad, I’m 56 years old and young people seem to have a hard time communicating face to face nowadays.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Kevin,
I think we agree it's not a binary situation. I enjoy sharing airplane/flying ideas with others (right here, or in person). But I do think there's a difference between seeking out company to avoid being alone vs seeking out others to advance the project itself. Neither is good or bad.
I had plenty of working with/leading teams in my professional life. It is rewarding, but means endless compromises on how you do things and what you do.

Mcmark

I’m pretty lucky, the group at KESN is great. A large contingent of RV’s who are active, with a large group of formation guys that fly most weekends.
There are a bunch of local flyins and ways to stay active.
A couple of Bipes, Stearman, Skybolt, Eagle, Cubs etc. everybody seems to get along and the core group is always helpful.
They always have a 4th of July party that is a great time.
I’m and serious acronut, and even though we aren’t really close together there is always a practice or critique somewhere close.
The biggest challenge for me is the 1 hr plus drive.

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Whether we are programmed to be social or not is a different scenario than feeling "envious" of a group. I'm very social, but I rarely seek out these types of group Motorsports activities. Between the formation work, the employee fly outs, the Corvette rallies, the classic car shows/cruises, the motorcycle stuff, shooting, etc, If I participated in a quarter of the stuff I'm invited to I'd never get any work done. No group envy here, no sir.

That said, I'm very much looking forward to retirement so that I can have the free time these guys seem to have, and I aspire to the level of financial freedom some in their group enjoy. As long as I'm working full time and scraping nickels together I'm stuck at the low end of the aviation spectrum. But, pulling a now infamous phrase from the Raptor thread:

"I'm ok with that"

Last edited:

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I will agree that a vast majority of builds are done in private and I actually enjoy spending time out in my shop working on my project alone.
But,genetically,we are programmed to be social creatures.
With today's technology you can view someones project on the other side of the world within seconds using your computer or phone and speak to that individual as if they were standing in front of you.
So what's the point in having fly-ins,Sun & Fun,OshKosh,etc.....?
Everyone could just phone it in and not burn any time and fuel...
The point is that like minded individuals have a need/desire to socialize from time to time and exchange ideas,information,admirations,etc.
Why are your kids in cub scouts,boy scouts,girl scouts,sports,etc. ?
You can teach them everything they will ever learn from those organizations yourself....except social skills.
I understand building and flying can be a solo venture a huge portion of the time,and I enjoy that portion of it, but dismissing the desire to socialize with others and viewing that scenario as "needy" is the wrong viewpoint in my opinion.
We're all in this together.....let's have fun and share it with friends.

Kevin
I must be low in the programing to be social. I have been accused of being anti-social many times in my life by different people including my wife. I force myself to being somewhat social. Mostly people are too complex for me. I understand animals, if they don't like you, they bite or kick you, people do much worse with a smile on their faces. If I think you are not open and trying to put on a front, we will not get along. I'm open and simple, and I prefer being around the same type of people. Growing up on the farm in the middle of nowhere, Grandfather and I would go almost the whole summer and not see anyone else. I'm happy being by myself, I don't need to be around people. I was never in cub scouts, boy scouts, sports, etc. I read about them, but that must be for the rich people that live in town and have money enough to buy their food, and since they are not working daylight to dark 7 days a week to eat, they must have time for social things. Moving to Pittsburgh, Pa to live with my mother and father when I was 15 years old was a huge culture shock for me. I'm still not completely there, but I try. I still prefer my horse than people.
I have met 2 people on this site, Dana and Joe Spencer. Both open and out front and you see what you get. I like both of them. Very nice people. People that you enjoy being around.