• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

IFR with certified Garmin G3X

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scheny

Hi,
a few days ago I saw on Youtube that the G3X can now also be bought in a certified version.

I asked whether you could fly IFR by internal GPS on the old uncertified version of the G3X and got the answer, that you would need a GTN650 as you require a certified navigation device.

Now, with the G3X certified I don't understand why you still need either a GTN650 or the new (GPS only) GNX375. In my understanding the GNX375 is doing nothing more than the internal GPS of the G3X. Or is the internal GPS of the certified G3X still uncertified?

For our project we have huge space restrictions in the cockpit (glider sized) and it will make a big difference whether we have to use the GTN650. If we take it, the GTN would be located between the knees, pushing them more apart than in any glider I know and not leaving much space left... Without it, the leg room could be kept free.

So what would you guys do?

Back