Quantcast

IFR capable plane with auto conversion

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

TFF

The technological answer is no, the anecdotal answer is yes. And what we will anecdotally add is heavy IFR, not a file and fly. Generally you will be putting yourself in worse conditions than a day flight. Night, you signed up to ride it out. You decided to go anyway. Carb ice and/or adding impact ice Makes nice gliders. Mooney Cs are bad about carb ice. Ice covering up the air cleaner when getting carb ice adds to the fun. Not that you can’t fly with the carb heat on, C Mooney, you do IFR. The issues tend to be compounded and the pilot usually has not thought it through. Missed cues. Timing just right and you will not be fast enough pulling the carb ice on. Now you are dealing with a restart. I have a friend who has about a 1000 hours in hard IFR in single engine piston. Only does it if he has too for work. His regular IFR is pretty benign or calls it off for VFR the next day. 30,000 total GA hours say fly on a nice day.

I also noticed that he advent of fancy avionics gets people to fly even closer margins.

Aerowerx

What's that syndrome called? There's a name for it, I think.

You are flying over rough terrain, or over water (like the Great Lakes), and think your engine is making funny noises.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Semi mitigated if you've got a synthetic vision option available to you... Should be able to at least get close enough to get landing lights on a roadway.

It's impressed the heck out of me the last few trips to BC...
Good luck on finding a road. You can be at 12 K and look in every direction at day time and not see a road or field to land on. All the roads are under a canopy of trees. Nothing to land on except tree tops. Then if you survive the crash and get lucky and the airplane doesn't fall out the tree, you still have to walk out. 26 downed airplanes in this state that has never been found.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
What's that syndrome called? There's a name for it, I think.

You are flying over rough terrain, or over water (like the Great Lakes), and think your engine is making funny noises.
Automatic roughness. Never fails when flying over mountains at night time or flying over water .

Hephaestus

Good luck on finding a road. You can be at 12 K and look in every direction at day time and not see a road or field to land on. All the roads are under a canopy of trees. Nothing to land on except tree tops. Then if you survive the crash and get lucky and the airplane doesn't fall out the tree, you still have to walk out. 26 downed airplanes in this state that has never been found.
Well that would come into flight planning now wouldn't it? Always have an out starts at flight planning, rapidly approaching 20yrs since I started having that drilled to me in ground school...

I don't even want to think about how many planes are lost to time in the Alberta/BC Rockies.

Jerry Lytle

We are off topic but I feel the need to tell about a young woman who was hiking with her boy friend when a grizzily charged them. She stated she owes her life to the 25 caliber auto that she carried for personal defence. That is really a small gun.

Last edited:

TFF

In Alaska, that is a skud running weather race. What they don have is a lot of wires and towers that will catch you. Flying “minimums” is the only way to get somewhere. How are you going to fly IFR there for the most part? You can’t break the rules, but you interpret them as grey as the sky you are flying in.

What did she do shoot the boyfriend to slow him down? You only have to be the second slowest. If attacked you will either scare or piss off the animal; you don’t know which will happen.

Daleandee

We are off topic but I feel the need to tell about a young woman who was hiking with her boy friend when a grizzily charged them. She stated she owes her life to the 25 caliber auto that she carried for personal defence. That is really a small gun.
Yep ... she shot him in the foot. I know how that works ... I don’t have to out run the bear ... just whoever is with me. LOL!

skydawg

The Corsair V8 conversion uses a wood core Sensenich prop with a carbon fiber surface and a hard epoxy leading edge.....the leading edge is tough and stood up unscathed the few times I flew into rain, as well as taxi and takeoff on surfaces contaminated with small bits of gravel.

Most prop manufacturers offer some form of leading edge material, and it's worth the cost upgrade. Most wood core props use epoxy for LE, and it's easy to repair by filling in and sanding.

The Corsairpower.com website had photo of their prop and you can see what their props leading edge looks like..

Mad MAC

As a rescue Helicopter Pilot told me, one of the greatest safety improves they got from Night Vision Goggles was, that they would realise the weather was far worse than they thought, and turn around and go home.

With an Auto engine, the biggest improvement would be make sure you have flown at least 100 hours with it in its final configuration before attempting IFR. After that its the usual, reliable instruments and the ability to use them well.

Heliano

Chances of engine failing at night are no different from chances of failing during daytime. But the chances of preforming a successful forced landing are different.

Pilot-34

Yep ... she shot him in the foot. I know how that works ... I don’t have to out run the bear ... just whoever is with me. LOL!
It makes for a good joke that’s not true in real life .
bears have a very ingrained instinct to pursue and subdue.
Don’t run from the bear they’re probably just gonna catch you To knock you down but compared to bears people are very breakable

Daleandee

It makes for a good joke that’s not true in real life .
bears have a very ingrained instinct to pursue and subdue.
Don’t run from the bear they’re probably just gonna catch you To knock you down but compared to bears people are very breakable
Let's just say that I've never ran as fast as I can ... only as fast as I had too! The day I get eaten by a bear you can say that I ran as fast as I could. :p

Pilot-34

There was this one time when a moose was chasing me in the only place to hide was up a tree but the first branch was 15 finger up and I jumped for it and didn’t make it
Wait for it
.But I caught it on the way back down