IFR capable plane with auto conversion

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

way_up_noth

Hi everyone

Another day... another question

I’m building a plane that’s IFR capable

But if I use an auto conversion it needs to use light weight props...

Are there light props that can handle rain...ect... suitable and durable for IFR

I’m building and working on my lic at same time

ToddK

HBA Supporter
Hi everyone

Another day... another question

I’m building a plane that’s IFR capable

But if I use an auto conversion it needs to use light weight props...

Are there light props that can handle rain...ect... suitable and durable for IFR

I’m building and working on my lic at same time
Check with the vendor who is selling your auto conversion. With an auto conversion you really want to stay in that vendors ecosystem and only use components with a successful track record.

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
There are composite and wood props out there with nickel inserts that will shrug off rain and snow. Check them out.

Billski

TFF

I would consider any prop without a metal leading edge, a light duty weather prop.

crusty old aviator

Back in the 80’s, there was a Canadian flying his powered Easy Riser across Lake Erie to an Ohio fly-in. Half way across, he felt the urge to pee, so he got himself situated sideways on the swing seat, got his willy out in the slipstream, and was about to let ‘er rip when his elbow bumped the throttle and the engine rpm dropped, scaring him out of the idea of emptying his bladder. He powered up and got himself settled back into the swing seat, then realized that he was in front of one of George Ritz’s pine props, which had a reputation for disintegrating when flying in rain, and he was just about to piddle right into his prop arc...he said it would have really pissed him off if he had pissed himself out of the sky over the middle of a Great Lake.
Always go for leading edge protection: water is amazingly abrasive.

Daleandee

Sort of reminded me of camping in the mountains one night and I managed to piss on a sleeping bear. He didn't like it.
Pops ... You are the most intriguing man I have never met!

I'm still laughing and wondering just how in the world something like that can happen. I can just picture you trying to put all the essential equipment away while running so fast you looked like you were laying down. 🤣

I don't have anything on the life experience list that comes close to that ...

Pops

Log Member
I was sleeping in a tent, woke up and needed to go to pee, walk a ways from the tent and saw a dark spot on the ground and decided that would be a good place to pee. The bear jumped up and ran in the opposite direction as fast as I was and jumped in the river. I was 32 miles from the nearest building and that was a ranger station. Hard to get a good nights sleep, wild things in the cities and wild things in the mountains.

Two weeks ago my wife and I was driving back from my daughter place, off grid, on a ridge , out a private road behind a locked gate. Came around a curve and a male black bear was standing in the road. He just stood and looked at us as I stopped and then he walked out of the road and in the woods, in no rush, like he owned the place. ( I think he does ). His back was up to my chest and he was about 7' long. Biggest black bear I every saw, didn't know black bears got that big. Wife said the same thing.

Last edited:

D_limiter

Lifetime Supporter
That bear story is hilarious, but I imagine it was a hell of a thing at the time.

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
Bears out of control here this year for some reason. Biggest one I have ever seen was about 550 lbs. Had them in the driveway and in the clearing over the years. They always act like they own the place. Never in a hurry to leave. Always looking for food in any weather or at any time of the day/night. Moose as well. Those are REALLY big.

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
Composite with stainless/nickel LE protection probably your best bet. But unproven engine night bad weather ops high probability for negative events. Second the recommendation for using the mfrs recommended prop if they have one.

crusty old aviator

Every evening, we bring in the bird feeders before they become bear feeders, but they’ve come through in the middle of the day and chowed down. They‘re always welcome here, no matter how hard they are on the feeders. The chipmunks, while cute, are having a population explosion and raiding the gardens: too much of a good thing! Oh geez...this thread has drifted waaaay down stream!

Daleandee

I had a black bear come after me once. Fortunately, I had my club with me and that discouraged him...there are a dozen people in my club.
I was at the airport late one night by myself talking to my brother on the phone. He asked what I would do if a bear came out of the woods towards me. I told him I had my .380 with me. He asked how many rounds it would hold. "Seven" I said. He then told me if it came to a confrontation to shoot the bear six times. I asked why only six times and he told me ... "save that last one for yourself!"

WWhunter

This was my deck a week or so ago. He visists quite regularly. For refence, that top rail is several inches above my head when I am standing there. I'm 5'6". He's probably about 10' from me when I took that picture. I took another picture of him as he was about to stand up and look in the bedroom window. I was less than 5' from him then.

Attachments

Aerowerx

I was at the airport late one night by myself talking to my brother on the phone. He asked what I would do if a bear came out of the woods towards me. I told him I had my .380 with me. He asked how many rounds it would hold. "Seven" I said. He then told me if it came to a confrontation to shoot the bear six times. I asked why only six times and he told me ... "save that last one for yourself!"
A 380 would just tick him off. My brother in law in Alaska recommends a Ruger Redhawk in 44 magnum, 7.5 inch barrel.

Daleandee

A 380 would just tick him off. My brother in law in Alaska recommends a Ruger Redhawk in 44 magnum, 7.5 inch barrel.
I knew that but the story of my brother reminding me is true. If I had to use a .380 I would have to wait until I could stick it in his ear and pull the trigger. I have a 40 cal that I like to carry but even that would probably get me killed by making him mad. Now a 55 grain 223 traveling at 3,215 fps might get the job done considering the magazine holds a few more than the .380 😁 but that's not a carry weapon (at least not yet).

TFF

As long as they are not going to eat my family or me or pets, I’m good. I do have a 45-70 when not good.

They are trying to bring them
Back in Louisiana and a Mississippi. If was following the in-laws down a two lane about 15 miles from their house in Louisiana and one ran out in front of my truck, corn field to corn field. About 100 yards up a man walking his dog that way. Told him; not too concerned.

I know someone who has fishing lodge in Alaska. One got in and was shot at the bottom of the stairs. Dragged it out the next morning when there was light. Generator was off. Guests didn’t seem phased. I guess it’s part of the experience.

Daleandee

As long as they are not going to eat my family or me or pets, I’m good. I do have a 45-70 when not good.
Totally agree. If they ain't bothering me or mine we're good. I had armadillos in the back yard. Ugly creatures but instead of harming them the wife caught them in our Hav-A-Hart trap and took them to the river. They loved the water!