• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Ideas for VFR Flying Adventures

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Radicaldude1234

So there I was, on my computer trying to book a flight this Saturday on the DA-40 I usually fly...when I saw that someone had beaten me to the punch and booked the entire afternoon. Slightly more curious than annoyed, I clicked on the entry to see what my fellow aviator was up to:

"Formation Training at Rialto" was the entry. Hmm, I thought.

As I was immediately unburdened with the need to create a cross country for another week, I used my newfound free time to dig a little bit. Along the way, I started to think about stuff that doesn't conform to the "standard" path of pilot training, i.e. PPL-> IFR-> CPL. In other words training one would do mainly for fun.

I'm a rather low time pilot (~140hrs) and do plan to get my Instrument at some point, but in the meantime I'm rather interested in doing some non-straight-line-looking-outside-the-windows type flying, beyond stuff I've basically been doing since I started training for my checkride, and taking passengers...

So this is what I found so far:

Formation Flying
Formation Training

Tailwheel Training
Flabob Aero Club
CP Aviation

Soaring
Southern California Soaring - Region 12

Emergency Maneuver Training/Aerobatic
CP Aviation

That's what I've found so far and I'm wondering what else is out there? Now, I know what I have is focused in the S. California/Los Angeles area (where I'm at), but don't be shy if you know of stuff in your area!

Back