Icon Stockholders Sue To Block Alleged Illegal Technology Transfer to China

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Marketing department.

Did you see the full-Hollywood grand opening product launch (in Hollywood IIRC) where they had the flashbulbs going off, the chicks, the reporters, and the wings unfolding with the push of a button? I think they even rented the f^@($*g Klieg lights.

Did you see their fundraising results?

If I were in the twice-cooked investor business, that's what I'd want to steal.

TFF

What they can do is pull all the intellectual property from being utilized in the US. Buy and put it on a shelf and not let you have access to parts or repair data. Small potatoes and xyz feeling about said company will
Not make a hill of beans. China is kind of going at it like the Wright Brothers which was own the design and fight it all in court. On the international trade if they own enough of the IP across the board, they profit and can shut down sectors of industry. On the scale of an owner, not really much of a big deal. On the international playground, they will have the international trade courts start levying fines to governments “ who are not playing by the rules” and make money back door. Since this subject can’t be discussed in terms of AN hardware and types of epoxy, the thread should be completely deleted.

BoKu

Pundit
HBA Supporter
Did you see the full-Hollywood grand opening product launch (in Hollywood IIRC)...
I did see their pavilion at Oshkosh 2016 (geez has it been five years already??) where they had multiple video screens, booth babes, a thumping techno beat designed to repel geezers like me, and free coffee to sideline those few geezers who made it past the techno screen. The sales folks on hand had just the right smidge of condescension for anyone who dared to demonstrate a working knowledge of aeronautics or composites. It was exactly what you would do to pick unicorns out of the crowd, and pretty much exactly the wrong place to do it.

BoKu

Pundit
HBA Supporter
I'm curious: what "proprietary technology" does ICON have?
This-this-thissety-this!

The A5 is made entirely out of stuff that has been on the scene long before Icon got here. The only thing that Kirk Hawkins brought to the table was the particular combination of elements to appeal to a customer base of affluent watersports enthusiasts.

Unfortunately he was not very good at cost estimation, unwilling to listen to those who are, and enthralled by his Silicon Valley colleagues who were constantly being rescued by Moore's Law--which has no power in the realm of aeronautics.

proppastie

Log Member
it certainly does make sense if they want to steal the company and they plan on manufacturing in China......."we don't need no stinking stock holders"

TerryM76

HBA Supporter
I did see their pavilion at Oshkosh 2016 (geez has it been five years already??) where they had multiple video screens, booth babes, a thumping techno beat designed to repel geezers like me, and free coffee to sideline those few geezers who made it past the techno screen. The sales folks on hand had just the right smidge of condescension for anyone who dared to demonstrate a working knowledge of aeronautics or composites. It was exactly what you would do to pick unicorns out of the crowd, and pretty much exactly the wrong place to do it.
Bob.

I don't think you actually qualify as "geezer" yet. If I recall correctly, "geezers" are required to have some level of facial hair, typically a partial or full beard. I do reserve the right to be wrong.....and who am I quoting from our illustrious gray-haired clan?

ICON will probably just go down the same path as Terrifugia, Cessna 162, and all the other revolutionary aircraft that will radically change our aviation world forever.

Yawn.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
For that, you need to know the US and international patents to which Icon owns the rights. Anyone know how to search something like this?
Patents are one way of attempting to protect IP. Another way is through "trade secrets." If Icon has a production process, formulation, etc that they are protecting as proprietary technology, we wouldn't find a patent for it, but they also wouldn't want it disclosed.
These proprietary processes, etc can be more effective in the real world than patents are, especially if dealing with entities/governments with a record poor IP protection or even dedicated government programs to steal whatever IP they can.

Last edited:

PMD

The ability to milk investors for years? Oh,wait....there is another project that has that figured out as well so nothing new here!
They learned it at the Tesla Business School.

Looking at the patent search hits; it seems you can patent just about anything these days - but good luck trying to defend some of that. Seems to be a business strategy these days of file as many patents as you can (and you CAN indeed file a mess of them) and continue to pray at the alter of George Selden.

Last edited:

pwood66889

"...Silicon Valley colleagues who were constantly being rescued by Moore's Law--which
has no power in the realm of aeronautics."
Sharp observation, Boku. Gives this ol' computer guy something to think about.
Moore's law says computers get more powerful with time. The FAA and some concern
for one's own hide keeps that happening with airplanes.

"Patents are one way of attempting to protect IP. Another way is through "trade secrets."
Excellent point, Vig_1. There are also Copyrights. See "A Pirate's Guide to Patents,"
by Dave winters (a fellow Ercouper). And besides Trade Secrets, there is just flat
keeping it a secret! Basically, each has good and bad points, per Mr. Winters.

"Looking at the patent search hits; it seems you can patent just about anything these
days - but good luck trying to defend some of that."
Another excellent point - `Preesh PMD! The American Patent Office does not have the
person power to see if a patent is "Original Art" or just a slight rehash of the formula
like old wine in new bottles. Should one have the staying power, patents can be voided.
It is matter of your lawyers vs. theirs. Take Away: (per Pirate's Guide) "A patent is
a hunting license."

AJLiberatore

I'm curious: what "proprietary technology" does ICON have?

BJC
Their patented wing design. Aka Roncz airfoil, amd a droop leading edge with all sorts of affliated slots and groves to promote controlled votices to qoute-un-qoute make it stall proof. I have said here and elsewhere as someone who lost a dear friend to a Stall/Spin scenario, I would have loved to have seen them open source it so we all could utilize it. I don't have the patent number or link handy, you'll have to find it.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Drooped leading edge and all sorts of slots is nothing new. Use what you want. Nothing is stall proof yet. It is stall resistant at some power settings/angles of attack.

jandetlefsen

HBA Supporter
Does anyone know why Chinese companies are so eager to buy all the GA companies worldwide but very few if any of them are significantly profitable and there is no domestic civil market to speak off? Surely the armed forces are not interested in such things besides some curiosities orders.

Status
Not open for further replies.