Icon A5 Update - No Deliveries!?!

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Victor Bravo

High level of amphetamines, plus opioid pain meds, plus antidepressants. So the brain functions were likely to be either a little or a lot wonky.

Plus ego/fame/fortune. Most of us are aware what this does to decision-making; myself and likely a few others here have seen it up close.

Plus acro or semi-acro flying at low altitude. Dangerous enough with a high-end professional airshow pilot aboard.

Although I have not done any extensive studying on this tragic accident, I will put my neck on the block and offer that these ingredients are a fairly well proven recipe for disaster.

Anyone here remember Duane Allman?

12notes

Lifetime Supporter
Log Member
High level of amphetamines, plus opioid pain meds, plus antidepressants. So the brain functions were likely to be either a little or a lot wonky.

Plus ego/fame/fortune. Most of us are aware what this does to decision-making; myself and likely a few others here have seen it up close.

Plus acro or semi-acro flying at low altitude. Dangerous enough with a high-end professional airshow pilot aboard.

Although I have not done any extensive studying on this tragic accident, I will put my neck on the block and offer that these ingredients are a fairly well proven recipe for disaster.

Anyone here remember Duane Allman?
I guess that if you're going to do a whole bunch of ill-advised, reckless, stupid, dangerous crap, might as well be on drugs too.

Victor Bravo

I suspect it is fare more benign and "safe" than most others in its class. John Roncz worked and worked to make that wing as idiot-proof as a wing can possibly be.

Too bad Roncz didn't also design the jar holding the prescription meds.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Do those particular drugs result in gross impairment? He may have used those drugs for years and without crashing.
He may have accidentally hit the water from lack of low level maneuver knowledge or impairment. I don't think the NTSB can determine the cause.

Victor Bravo

Yes of course, I don't know whether he was flying stoned... or whether he was sober with safe and medicinal levels of XYZ drugs in his system.

If I hadn't mentioned it before, I had flown several times in a Bonanza (and once in Lancair) with a former narcotics addict who was being treated with a drug called Suboxone. That medicine in his system would have made me a blubbering, drooling mess, but he was in perfect control of the airplane and able to function unimpaired.

So different people can fly safely with different things in their systems, legality aside.

12notes

Lifetime Supporter
Log Member
You mean flying an A5?

I’m not a fan of ICON, but I doubt that their airplane is any more dangerous than any other.

BJC
Not sure how you assumed I meant that. I meant the low level aerobatics with little experience.

D Hillberg

Forget the time limits, contracts and other stuff these A5 ICON guys have.
When an ole PBY, Grumman, or insert your float plane here ---->____________________ are on the market.
Heck splice an aluminum whaler boat in an RV and call it done