Icom A6E Sport wiring diagram

Discussion in 'Instruments / Avionics / Electrical System' started by Foundationer, Jan 13, 2018.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jan 13, 2018 #1

Foundationer

Foundationer

Foundationer

Hi,

Does anyone have the definitive wiring diagram to hook one of these up to a PTT switch and a mic? I'll be using the speaker in the radio rather than a headset (It's in a glider) so just need to make a harness for PTT / Mic.

Thanks in advance!

Matty

2. Jan 13, 2018 #2

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

I have an Icom A-14, which apparently has uses the same headset interface as the A6 (OPC-499). I just plopped it on my workbench and cranked up the ol' Fluke DMM.

All the microphone connections are to the SMALL plug. It seems pretty standard...the PTT switch connects the tip and the base. I believe the mike itself electrically connects to the base and ring.

The large plug is used just with the earphone portion... base and tip (no separate channels, even though it's a three-conductor plug). Remember, a set of standard ear buds will work, actually better than a stock aviation headset, though you might have to switch them to mono.

Be advised that I do not know what happens to the radio when something is plugged in. If you use the stock adaptor, the built-in mike and speakers are disabled...but I don't know if that's physically when the small or large plugs are inserted, or if each is separate. Shouldn't take long for you to check.

Also, be advised, if you use the PTT on the radio itself, it uses the built-in microphone.

Ron Wanttaja

Foundationer likes this.
  3. Jan 14, 2018 #3

Foundationer

Foundationer

Foundationer

Thanks for that - I'll get on wiring up a harness and try it out.