• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Ice/Snow runways - Skiplanes!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain_John

Well, it seems that the times, they are a changin'!

It seems that the Alton Bay Fly-in is no longer. :(

The folks in Southern New Hampshire still maintain the airstrip, but the Fly-in is no longer. Alton Bay is the southernmost bay on Lake Winnipesaukee. They plow it 50' wide x 4,000' long and used to host one helluva fly-in! I am show here in my heavier days posing next to an Aerobat I used to fly.

me&22967.jpg

I have flown in there twice now and was thinking of doing it again this year if the snow didn't fall soon. It seems the townsfolk thought it was too dangerous for the airplanes to be zooming around with all the sleds, icefishermen and others. They also said that the folks who have run it in the past are now too old and cannot do it anymore.

I want to put skis under my RV, as it will be a taildragger. Probably wheel skis if I can find a decent pair.

Has anyone done this to an RV before? Are there any considerations I need to be aware of in designing the apparatus? I am an AVID snowmobiler and I understand the "conditions". I plan on getting skiplane instruction, but want to pick some brains here about the "setup" of the machine.

Anyone...

:confused: CJ

Back