• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

I went flying

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertl

Yep, I did it again, I committed aviation yesterday. First, a little history, PPL in 1974 and active for a few years, then, as they say, life got in the way. Traveling for work, kids and no flying for 30 years, then, sporadic flying when I could find a rental and an instructor near where I was working. And then health issues would keep me from getting my 3rd class renewed, so enter Sport Pilot and tailwheel endorsement. (because 1946 Champs were the only rentals available.) Finally, I had enough, and after meeting with an AME, decided to go for the 3rd class again. From that first visit, it was almost 2 years before I finally got my Special Issuance, (I always knew I was special) and shortly after that, I did BasicMed. So, I now have a couple of Cessna 150's and a hand full of 172's available to rent and that brings me to the reason I started this thread. Yesterday, (with my friend the CFI) I flew into Class D Airspace for the first time since 1974 and it was a big deal for me, and even though the airport was pretty dead, I'm not used to ATC chatter, approach, tower and ground. At 73 I can fly the rest of my life and never have to go into controlled air space again, but I figured why not continue to grow and improve my skills. Will I ever fly into some place like Atlanta or Charlotte, H E double hockey sticks no!
Bob

Back