I wanna build something.

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

harrisonaero

Ok, so if you want something experimental, small, and FAST (and don't care about safety, cost, etc.)... then just pick out any of the sexy Super Sport Class Reno racers... with the Nemesis NXT being the centerfold.

Or pick one of the turboprops like a Lancair Propjet/Evolution/Sentry.

Or as another thought... if you really want something specified exactly to your liking, and want to use your money and aircraft experience to help advance the art, consider hiring someone to help you design and build a whole new design of aircraft. You can call it a NXT killer.

Last edited:

TFF

Your lucky to have someone ready to go.
It comes to the distance. If it is going to be half continent distances or bigger, you're going to want to be high up. Suck on O2 or pressurized? For traveling only it wold be one of the turboprops; if you are going to have fun with it when not traveling, something slower with a piston. The SeaFury guy on the airport got a Turbine Legend for traveling giving, up his RV10 and has an Extra for boring holes.

Falconflier

Have a look at the tango 2 or XR, it does everything reasonably well. I test flew it a few times to check it out before committing,

It seems to go together quickly, i started building (my XR) in sept 2011 and my wings are ready for close out, gear is in and the tunnel went in last week. Its been fun and no surprises so far

falconflier

208Caravan

Got any build pictures.

Have a look at the tango 2 or XR, it does everything reasonably well. I test flew it a few times to check it out before committing,

It seems to go together quickly, i started building (my XR) in sept 2011 and my wings are ready for close out, gear is in and the tunnel went in last week. Its been fun and no surprises so far

falconflier

Dave Prizio

You really need to narrow your focus a bit. I suggest a trip to Sun 'n Fun and/or AirVenture where you can see lots of planes and get a better idea of what's available and what things cost. As a first-time builder you will also want to seriously consider the available builder support for the kit you are considering. The more common kits generally have the best support, both from the factory and other builders. This is a great benefit of building a Vans kit (RV series). Lancair also has good support for builders, as do a number of others.

Budget is going to be a consideration at some level for almost everyone. The Lancair Evolution is a great plane if you have a budget of around $1 million. Nothing will put real estate behind you quicker or in more style than the Evo, but it costs a lot of $$$. As an alternative Lancair offers the Legacy, a speedy 2-place plane that is a bit tight on space for bigger folks, but does go very fast for way less cash.

An RV-10 is a very good 4-place plane on a more modest $200K budget. It offers good speed and comfort and is well supported by the factory and other builders. If you are not a large person and have about half that money you could look at an RV-7 or RV-8 as an option. They can provide quick and economical transportation for 2 people at a pretty resonable price.

If you like the Rutan look with the main wing in the back and a canard up front the Velocity or Cozy are worth a look. They can provide good speed and comfort but tend to use more runway than more conventional designs.

This is just a sample of what's out there. Best of luck as you make your dscision.

Dave Prizio