I wanna build something.

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

208Caravan

I'm having trouble thinking of what I want to build next. I want something kinda small, FAST!!, Tail or nose, materials can be anything, my wife wants to go so it needs to be comfortable for her (I'll fly a cactus if I have to, comfort don't matter for me), and price does not matter. If I don't find anything I'll go to a Model 12.

djschwartz

I'm having trouble thinking of what I want to build next. I want something kinda small, FAST!!, Tail or nose, materials can be anything, my wife wants to go so it needs to be comfortable for her (I'll fly a cactus if I have to, comfort don't matter for me), and price does not matter. If I don't find anything I'll go to a Model 12.
The Lancairs will give you the most speed for the HP for anything widely available. But you'll pay a price in terms of longer takeoff and landing and flatter approaches and departures, as well as only mediocre handling and control harmony. The RV-7 and 8 won't go as fast but will offer much better all around utility and handling characteristics. The RV's are definitely comfortable for two. I can't speak to the Lancair as I haven't flown them.

If you're willing to build from scratch then there are other designs that might be interesting; but, they will also be more of an unknown in terms of what you'll end up with when you're done.

If price really doesn't matter, there are a lot of good RV's out there for sale. Buy one and fly it away. I'm a little more reluctant to buy a composite ship unless I know the builder really well. Composites are fine if done properly but it's really hard to tell that on a completed aircraft.

I assume by Model 12 you mean a Pitts Model 12? That would be a fun aerobatic ship and respectably fast; though, I don't think it will be much in the comfort department for the wife.

Dave

TFF

If you dont care about price Turbine Legend or Lacair IV P. Reality is how much baggage and how far do you need to fly? Standard RV 7 or 9 because they work. I personally like Tailwinds. I would rather have the Pitts 12. Buy her a Bellanca Viking and build your 12; That is what I would do.;)

autoreply

The Berkut (molded, ultrafast Long-EZ) might be another option, though it has the same drawbacks as the Lancairs and other hot ships. It's certainly a unique design though.

fadec

If you like the round sounds then perhaps a Radial Rocket RG. Thunder Mustang are back in production but not sure how comfortable rear seat is. Lancair Evo for fast and expensive.

208Caravan

She flies my 185 all the time, at least 4 time a month. That's why I want something else.

If you dont care about price Turbine Legend or Lacair IV P. Reality is how much baggage and how far do you need to fly? Standard RV 7 or 9 because they work. I personally like Tailwinds. I would rather have the Pitts 12. Buy her a Bellanca Viking and build your 12; That is what I would do.;)

208Caravan

I just looked at RR's website, the TD model is appealing.

If you like the round sounds then perhaps a Radial Rocket RG. Thunder Mustang are back in production but not sure how comfortable rear seat is. Lancair Evo for fast and expensive.

208Caravan

I owned a Long EZ in the past. Nose wheel folded under on landing.:ermm:

The Berkut (molded, ultrafast Long-EZ) might be another option, though it has the same drawbacks as the Lancairs and other hot ships. It's certainly a unique design though.

208Caravan

Lancairs are on the list.

The Lancairs will give you the most speed for the HP for anything widely available. But you'll pay a price in terms of longer takeoff and landing and flatter approaches and departures, as well as only mediocre handling and control harmony. The RV-7 and 8 won't go as fast but will offer much better all around utility and handling characteristics. The RV's are definitely comfortable for two. I can't speak to the Lancair as I haven't flown them.

If you're willing to build from scratch then there are other designs that might be interesting; but, they will also be more of an unknown in terms of what you'll end up with when you're done.

If price really doesn't matter, there are a lot of good RV's out there for sale. Buy one and fly it away. I'm a little more reluctant to buy a composite ship unless I know the builder really well. Composites are fine if done properly but it's really hard to tell that on a completed aircraft.

I assume by Model 12 you mean a Pitts Model 12? That would be a fun aerobatic ship and respectably fast; though, I don't think it will be much in the comfort department for the wife.

Dave

skier

I always thought the Dyke Delta looked like a fun little plane. It is supposedly pretty fast.

TFF

You have to list what you got; dont want to recommend something you already have :). Depends on how far your travels are. For a traveling machine I like room. F1s and RRs are fast but tandem traveling is not as fun as boring holes. The RR has never looked right to me. Still say Model 12. If she did not have to ride I would say S1-11B.

autoreply

Fast right? No clue whether you can buy the old production rights of the company (it sounded like "Moron MB300"), but truly is a unique and very fast travel machine, a slightly bigger version of the Rutan Boomerang.

TFF

Its usually not fun for the #2 seat person. When Mamas not happy no one is happy. Try turning off the intercom and someone will kick you in the back until the flight is over.

208Caravan

I showed her the RR TD, and she liked it. Back when I owned the P 51, she rode in the jump seat on a 4 hour flight. She did slap the back of my head a couple of times (six point role always gets em:gig:).

Its usually not fun for the #2 seat person. When Mamas not happy no one is happy. Try turning off the intercom and someone will kick you in the back until the flight is over.