I need a disign for big boys

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

tlcasey100

I am looking for a set of plans for a guy weighing about 300 pounds for simple local flights or even a two seater. Ive looked at a lot of plans but it seems designers think the human race all come in at 250 below.

Thanks

orion

R.I.P.
It's actually worse than that - most homebuilts are built to the old FAR standard of a 170 pound pilot. You'll either have to have one designed for you or modify a set of plans to meet your goals. But that too is quite a bit of work. Or a third option is to go a buy a used production airplane that has a large enough interior.

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
Take a look at the plans for some of the side by side 2 seat planes, like the KR-2S, Dragonfly, or Sonex. They are kind of marginal 2 place planes but I've heard of builders in your predicament converting to a center stick and rudder pedals and using them as single place.

Dan Thomas

The Bowers Namu II was built for big guys. It was an outgrowth of the Fly baby.
namu.JPG

Dan

orion

R.I.P.
Modifications like this are of course possible but you also have to look at the way it's built, the materials and gauges around the cockpit, the interior reinforcement, etc. One of the issues to address with a bigger cockpit payload is not only the flight loads but also those of the person getting in and out. One misstep or catching oneself if misbalanced and the load of grabbing on could be more than enough to bend things. So yes, you can convert a two seat small plane to a single seater (I've always wanted to do this with a Globe Swift) but a look at secondary loading scenarios would definitely be a worthwhile exercise. Also, despite having two seats, the planes like the KR-2s tended to perform poorly with a larger payload so it may be a good idea to look at the larger planes where the performance differential would be minimized.

DLrocket89

I know of a guy who took a Mustang II (Mustang Aeronautics Home) which is a 2 seat side by side, narrowed it a bit, and called it a Mustang 1.5 as a single seat.

Also, try looking at a Bearhawk Patrol. It's a 2 seat front/back like a cub, but the interior is approximately huge.

I understand your pain BTW, I'm 280lbs right now (and only 5'11"). I started working out regularily recently, trying to get that down to 200. We'll see how it goes.

skeeter_ca

Wasn't it one of the Sonex's that was designed as a two seater but if you wanted to due aerobatics, a single person would sit in the middle.

velojym

I'm kinda in the same boat, at 328lbs and 6'4"

Interestingly, at my height, that becomes more of an issue than girth, and I can easily sit in a Piper Tomahawk with my wife. Can't really fly it with much fuel, though... A fellow I know has a CGS Hawk, weighs close to what I do albeit shorter, and seems to do well enough with it.
There's also the Fisher Avenger, which seems to do just about what I'd need it to (provided I lost a few "vanity" pounds) while building it.

Last edited:

rtfm

Hi,
Pity the Razorback isn't finished. Or even started. Sigh. But fitted with an Aerovee engine (no redesign necessary) it would fit you nicely AND cruise at just on 150kts. It is a very small plane, but plenty roomy inside. How wide are you at the shoulders? We could build a well-fed Razorback fuse for you if necessary. That would be fun to do, and no more difficult that the standard fuse...

Duncan

Last edited:

topspeed100

Banned
My design..with bigger engines could be big enough to carry 300 pounder..but would need to be designed for that purpose in mind ( more weight on the nose would need bigger heavier engines in the rear + some more wingarea ( or slats ) and a tad bigger stabiliser ( elevator ).

Cockpit is roomy enough because I have designed it for 6 ft 4 in person with long back and therefore fitted with adjustable seat. I use 40 in waist ( by 32 in ) pants..would it have to be wider by how much ? I am 250 lbs with clothes on myself.

Main wheels might need to be bigger and stronger than the nose wheel with 6 in dia wheel perhaps 10 in dia. Would not make difference in the appearance..250 mm dia wheel will fit the fairings.

Last edited:

snaildrake

The tandem suggestion seems like a good one -- has anyone big here flown a Citabria? Look at these plans-built, high-wing two-seaters that have more space and can handle 125-150HP engines for better climb performance. Other than the Buttercup I'm not sure whether the door size is an issue. It has been written that Steve Wittman built the Buttercup so his elderly mother could get in and out easily.

- Wittman Buttercup (big door)
- Christavia Mk II

Cheers, Dan

velojym

I went up with another guy in a Champ, and the airplane did surprisingly well with both of us and more than half fuel.
I was able to fit in the back seat with no problem.

jaredyates

One great way to look at lots of designs in one place is to go to a show like Sun-N-Fun or Oshkosh. Last year at Oshkosh a 7-foot tall gentleman sat in the Bearhawk on display and was able to fit comfortable. Also, all of the side-by-side airplanes (with two sets of rudder pedals with brakes) that I've flown can operate just as well with your left foot on the left left pedal and your right foot on the right right pedal. This is a handy way to be more comfortable on very narrow designs when flying solo.

Nickathome

Or, and don't take this as being a wise ass, but there is the option of weight loss! If you want that plane bad enough! I weigh 235 lbs and I have tried to lose weight. I know its tough.