I lightened my plane by 20-50 pounds

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by Jon Ferguson, Sep 5, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Sep 11, 2017 #41

Pops

Pops

Pops

Growing up with my grandfather, we raised or killed almost all of our food. Lots of beans and potatoes. We usually raised about 200-250 chickens, 3 hogs, and had 2-3 milk cows. Farmed with a team of horses. Had 2 apple orchards a lots of peach and cherry trees. Also had wild blueberries and strawberries on the 100 acre farm along with about 25 walnut trees. So we always had fresh or canned fruit at every meal.
    The winter of 1952 the chickens died that summer along with the hogs. Garden didn't go very well and we ran out of food except for the wild blackberries that we picked and canned that summer. Lived on blackberries only for the last 6 weeks of that winter until the weather broke and the Poke and Dandelions greens can up and the one of the cows had a calf and latter we could start having milk. It was very hard that winter and I wondered if I could survive another winter like that one.

Now, I raise a large garden, also raise hydroponic tomatos, peppers, in my hanger by the patio door. So we have garden tasting tomatoes all winter. Been building a 22'x 27' greenhouse. My daughter raises a large garden and we grind wheat for our homemade bread. I raise all of my plants from seeds and had so many tomatoes this summer we were giving them away. Been saving seeds from the best tomatoes for many years and most of my tomatoes at 1 to 1 1/2 lbs each. One slice to a sandwich. Most of the food you buy today is FAKE food. A lot of fat ill-nourished people today.

Jon Ferguson and delta like this.
  2. Sep 17, 2017 #42

Jon Ferguson

Jon Ferguson

Jon Ferguson

IMG_0055.JPG

Wow this thread took off! I've lost 27 pounds up to this point. I still have a ways to go but the weight is still coming off. I've attached an image, hope it works. The guy in the mirror looks strange to me, like going back in time or something. I've been able to put on clothes I haven't worn in ages.

The best part of eating right is that I FEEL so much better. I have more energy and I feel motivated to do more than I used to. The Paleo diet has been wonderful, it was not originally designed to be a weight loss diet but instead a diet to correct a bunch of different gastro type illnesses. I was able to stop taking prilosec for the first time in years. No more heartburn, acid reflux, or other stomach maladies. Another strange benefit is my hair seems to be coming back. In recent years it's been thinning.

I'll keep you guys posted. Thank you for all the encouraging comments!

Wayne and BJC like this.
  3. Sep 17, 2017 #43

Aesquire

Aesquire

Aesquire

For the bachelor types, and bachelorettes, may I suggest the "Cook's Country" and "Cook's Illustrated" magazines and the "America's Test Kitchen" & "Cook's Country" tv shows, all from the same company.

Unlike most cooking magazines that give you recipes for the sponsor's brand products or for ingredients you don't have with technique you don't know..... these start with a goal, for example to make Sunday Gravy in less time & with less expense, describe various failure modes then give the recipe with Reasons the technique described works. Scientific cooking. "The first batch came out runny, the second, a brick, the third caught on fire, then we did x, y, & z, and it was delicious".

Every failure is a lesson and you learn WHY you cook a certain way.

They also have one off magazines & cook books covering special topics like grilling, slow cooker, Paleo, & cooking for 2.

I've learned seven ways to make an omelette, including the insane version where you separate the eggs, whip the whites to a soft peak & fold the yokes back in before hitting the pan. Fluffy but too much work. 1/8" bits of butter mixed with the eggs ( about a half table spoon for 2-3 eggs ) will coat the egg proteins with fat and reduce the "turn to rubber" cooling of the proteins. Easy and tasty.

4. Sep 17, 2017 #44

BJC

BJC

BJC

+1, for anyone who enjoys cooking, deitary or not.

BJC

5. Sep 17, 2017 #45

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Glad it's working but the calorie in - calorie out model (CICO) is seriously flawed and doesn't work for most people.

6. Sep 17, 2017 #46

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Losing weight = longer life, longer flying, more energy, and you can fit in to smaller airplanes. What's not to like about that. It's a worthy goal. Down another 2.8 pounds this week.

Jon Ferguson likes this.
  7. Sep 18, 2017 #47

MikePousson

MikePousson

MikePousson

I'm down 6 this month and not trying to lose weight. I'm extremely busy on a house project and doing more physically than normal. Winter is around the corner up here, and I usually gain a bit from being inactive. Sitting around watching NFL all day on sundays don't help.

8. Sep 18, 2017 #48

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Sitting here watching the Packers lose makes we want to eat junk food.

9. Sep 18, 2017 #49

tspear

tspear

tspear

lol, I guess time to call and harass my son. He is a packers fan for some reason (he has never been to Wisconsin)

Tim

10. Sep 18, 2017 #50

Aesquire

Aesquire

Aesquire

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niven's_laws

The applicable one here is #16. Niven's wife's rule.

The idea is to not eat bad food. You want chocolate? Don't eat the Palmers bunny, you won't really enjoy it. Buy fewer Dove bunnies instead, so you will. ( brand choice is yours ) Not very good food is calories wasted. Tasty food is worth it.

How much and what kind is a different subject.

The other laws are worth the read.

Aviation/space connection. Niven & recently passed friend and sometimes co-author Jerry Pournelle were key in starting SDI as it came to h e known. Can't think of a book by either I wouldn't recommend.

11. Sep 29, 2017 #51

skeeter_ca

skeeter_ca

skeeter_ca

I hit 249 lbs and got tired of getting tired just getting out off the sofa. I cut down on meal size and snacking. No rules just less. Still love my carbs. 8 mos. later i'm down to 223. My wife went on Jennie Craig because i was catching up on her. :)

skeeter

12. Sep 29, 2017 #52

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Cut and pasted from larryniven.net:
    Somewhat vague and misleading. Apparently, eating crisp potato chips, expensive candy, real whipped cream and a quality hot fudge sundae is acceptable?

Good luck with that. The takeaway here is never take nutrition advice from someone that can't spell "dietitian"

13. Sep 29, 2017 #53

Aesquire

Aesquire

Aesquire

Sure eating a quality hot fudge sundae is acceptable. Eating an inferior one isn't. One a day? If you can, sure. 6 a day? Not likely. ( although body builders can during some phases of training )

Soggy chips? Ptui! ( spits dramatically )

The point is that mindlessly eating too much is, of course, bad. You have mediocre food that you don't really care about? That's what you stuff in your face watching Youtube videos. Or you're sad because no one likes you for your personality flaws. Mindless, no attention paid, eating is a major factor in obesity.

So your food should call attention to itself with it's quality, not it's ability to help you ignore depression. It's also really likely that the real whipped cream doesn't have petroleum by products that someday will be found to cause terminal flatulence. The Hershey bar is unlikely to be made with glycol left over from the children's toothpaste factory the General's Cousin's Nephew's factory had to unload.

Eating with pleasure, and attention, is often a big part of the psychology of diets. Not eating crap is a big part of a good diet. Fuzzy Pink's Law isn't the Key to a Diet, it's a thoughtful rule for life.

Picking on a mis-spelling to invalidate all of an argument in a world of autocorrect is a bit unfair... it's a web site, and probably not maintained by the author.

14. Sep 29, 2017 #54

BJC

BJC

BJC

There are four fundamental pleasures in life; family, good food and flying, and each can be enhanced with good music.

BJC

Mcmark likes this.
  15. Sep 29, 2017 #55

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

I realize I'm just a plumber but isn't that 3?

16. Sep 29, 2017 #56

BJC

BJC

BJC

Well, yes, but this site has certain rules.

BJC

17. Sep 29, 2017 #57

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

I use the "good snack" rule of thumb too. If I go in a store looking for a particular snack and it isn't available, I walk away without a substitute. I'm looking for a particular taste, not just empty calories.

18. Sep 29, 2017 #58

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

If we apply the FAA's Decision Making model (ADM) to this scenario: We know some pilots fail to make good decisions because they lack knowledge, however, too often there is a human tendency to rationalize the situation until it appears justifiable.

In the case of the hot fudge sundae, we are rationalizing until consumption is justified

a. only one a day won't hurt anything (the flawed moderation argument)
    b. real ingredients, not that artificial stuff (like saying pure opiates are much better vs that factory produced stuff)
    c. enjoy! Have to die of something! (resignation)

The best option from a health and longevity perspective is to just say no to hot fudge sundaes regardless of how they taste.

19. Sep 29, 2017 #59

narfi

narfi

narfi

It can be argued that is no life at all.
    If you begin a life that has no life then the life is actually over and invalidates your claim to longevity.
    The goal is a long and healthy LIFE, the goal is not a living death.
    There for realistic strategies must be approached for actual living.

20. Sep 29, 2017 #60

Aesquire

Aesquire

Aesquire

Like the 115 year old vegan who now says it wasn't worth it. ;)

Probably a b.s. story, but funny.

No hot fudge sundaes?

That's deleting an anti cancer antioxidant. One with proven anti depression use. And a natural source of calcium to build strong bones and teeth.

In my lifetime coffee, eggs, butter, and on and on have been declared evil. Then good. Could be any food has been or will be declared by someone medically, religiously or morally good or bad for me, you, or the planet. I'm pretty sure some prominent someone declared Kale was needed to keep peace with Venus. I could have been having issues with the natural hand picked mushrooms from the pasture I put on the pizza. ;)