Quantcast

I impulse bought a plane 😬

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Dblbbl

Hi everyone! Soooo, I’m super new to this. I had the opportunity to buy a project for a pretty decent price. It’s a Mustang II, and it needs some work. I found this forum and just wanted to introduce myself. I will have lots of annoying questions and will require a bit of help navigating my way through this decision I made. Looking forward to the rebuild! Cheers!

Amy, Idaho (not a pilot)

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Welcome Amy, you live in one of the best places in the world for aviation. We will all be glad to offer as much help as you need.

The Mustang is kind of like a 1960's Ferrari sportscar. Very capable but not exactly what you want to teach a brand new driver on.

So while you are rebuilding the Mustang, most experienced pilots will strongly suggest that you start flying with the (many many) people in Idaho who are flying planes like the Piper Cub and Super Cub, the Taylorcraft, the Aeronca Champ, Piper Pacer, Cessna 120/140/170, and similar planes. These type of airplanes will be much better experience toward you eventually flying the Mustang.

Last edited:

Dblbbl

This is great advice! Thank you!!

Welcome Amy, you live in one of the best places in the world for aviation. We will all be glad to offer as much help as you need.

The Mustang is kind of like a 1960's Ferrari sportscar. Very capable but not exactly what you want to teach a brand new driver on.

So while you are rebuilding the Mustang, most experienced pilots will strongly suggest that you start flying with the (many many) people in Idaho who are flying planes like the Piper Cub and Super Cub, the Taylorcraft, the Aeronca Champ, Piper Pacer, Cessna 120/140/170, and similar planes. These type of airplanes will be much better experience toward you eventually flying the Mustang.

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
This is great advice! Thank you!!
Pace yourself on the flying. Plan on 5 to 10 hours by the time you have her flying. That should help motivate the build. While you are doing that shop around for a CFI that is qualified and would like to continue your instruction in your plane.

You will have a good time assuming all goes as planned.

Have you found a local EAA chapter?

don january

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Wings are off in the pic so that I could load it into an enclosed trailer (that was an adventure in itself...) Pardon the bird poop 🤣 Don said
Haven't you heard that bird poop makes it keep the joy of flight in it's soul.:) welcome to HBA and sadly I just sent off a set of prints for a Mustang II . I know the fun of transporting. jeep and all.jpg

Last edited:

plncraze

HBA Supporter
I hope you are an EAA member. The Sport Aviation archives have lots of Mustang 2 stuff including a build series by the designer Bob Bushby. Look up Larry Kinder's aircraft. I talked to someone with maybe 25,000 hours in light planes who said the Mustang 2 was very nice.

pwood66889

Dblbbl - welcome to HBA. You are guaranteed many answers to your questions. And recommendations - I'll make the first one = Hang Out with Airplane People! Local EAA Chapter (see EAA.ORG for chapter locations), local flying field (don't be put off - they can be stand-offish), Social Media groups for your Marque; its motor, its construction type.
And "share the ride" with us - we're a great cheering section!
Percy in NW FL, USA

speedracer

There's a LongEZ in my shop right now that meets the impulse buy-not a pilot criteria. Actually, he bought two...... and sold one to me. Unfinished EZ's that are nearly structurally complete go cheaper than dirt.