I have an idea ...

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by Daleandee, Oct 1, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Oct 8, 2019 #21

Pops

Pops

Pops

Thanks, its barbwire fence, not bobwire fence as I wrote. As I get older, I miss a lot of things, but I miss my brain the most :)

2. Oct 8, 2019 #22

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

As teenagers we used to play night chasey, running through streets and through houses' yards. One of those occasions I went to run through a house, from the road into the driveway, not noticing the knee high steel framed, black gates that were closed.

I hit them at full running sprint with my mate chasing me (he was "it"), went azz over head, and .... nothing, barely even any pain. I should have broken a leg at the miniumum, or an arm or smashed my head in, but nothing.

I'll never forget it, just get lucky sometimes, and sometimes very unlucky when these things happen.

3. Oct 8, 2019 #23

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

I was in race at school. I was in the lead for a change, looked over my shoulder to see by how much and tripped over a rabbit hole (rural school!) I did a forward somersault, recovered and kept running to finish second. I wasn't usually that gymnastic...

Childhood is for learning what not to do when you no longer bounce so well...

cheapracer likes this.
  4. Oct 8, 2019 #24

Pops

Pops

Pops

You can still bounce when you get old, it just cost a lot of broken bones. Fell about 16/18' off an extension latter and landed on concrete stiff legged with my left leg. Lots of broken bones. Left leg up to my hip in a cast for 6 months two times.

5. Oct 8, 2019 #25

Winginitt

Winginitt

Winginitt

One of my favorite sayings is "Knowledge is of little use until experience has given it meaning..........

While I'm sure that the broken bones seemed like a terrible thing to happen to you, at least you can be thankful that the fall came later in life when you were no longer climbing those high towers. ;)

Bought an air compressor at auction. Really nice 7 1/2hp Saylor Beal pump. Son needed compressor in AZ so I put it on a pallet,padded it, shipped it. Someone dumped it during shipping and destroyed the large pulley, guard,and coolers on the pump. Luckily had insurance.

Few years later a similar compressor was for sale on CL. Guy was laid off and made me a good price. Also had one of those mowers that you stand on a sulky and ride behind. Bought it too
    Never had used one before. It was sitting near the compressor in my shop so I decided to move it outside. Pulled the rope starter and it fired right up. The little lever that engages the forward movement was NOT fully disengaged. Like the cart in the video, it immediately started in a circular path. After about three circles it hit the compressor......and knocked it over. The compressor hit the concrete floor and destroyed the large pulley. I ordered a new pulley ($150). I put the new pulley on the compressor and hooked it to a plug. What I didn't know was the fall had also cracked the crankshaft. When the compressor reached speed, the pulley flew off with the stub of the crankshaft inside. It hit the floor spinning and knocked a chunk out of the pulley. It spun forward across the floor with its new sharp edge and cut my mig welding cord in half stopping only when it hit the garage door.
    It was a really nice little used compressor. I sucked it up and bought a new crankshaft. The thing was really clean inside. Installed the new crank. Welded the broken shard back into the pulley............and then sold both the mower and the compressor.

Again, knowledge is of little use until experience has given it meaning.:(

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    Pops likes this.
  6. Oct 8, 2019 #26

Pops

Pops

Pops

While I'm sure that the broken bones seemed like a terrible thing to happen to you, at least you can be thankful that the fall came later in life when you were no longer climbing those high towers.

Never thought if it that way. You are right. My guardian Angel has done a good job in spite of me. I would like to thank him someday.

Winginitt likes this.