Quantcast

I have an idea, what do you think ?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Been waiting for you to do the Beetlemaster. Every few weeks I get all the notes out of the folder and dream. Would be one heck of a good airplane and nice for traveling for 2 people and baggage.
You probably knew I'd bring it up! It would be a good travelling plane for two, and a good performer, too.

IF I do this, I'll just build a 1835 cc , 60 hp VW engine like the last one but to same money use the car distributor, and a total lost system electric system with just a battery powering the coil for the fire. With the right coil I believe the drain is about 2 amps. ... is on the cheap, so a Slick mag and wires is out of the question.
You aren't a fan of the lawn tractor style magnetrons? Fixed timing, but really simple and cheap. But, a total loss electrical system and suitable circuit would also work and be reliable. Having backup source of electricity, even D batteries, would give peace of mind.
Thinking about staying with the 30' wing span and 120 sq' of wing area, just a good combination. I have had fun working lift with that span , area and a GW of about 750 lbs. That's 6.25 lbs per sq'

So IF I do this, are we settled on this ?
That sounds really good. You already know it flies well, and being able to occasionally insert video of a "nearly the same" flying airplane will keep viewers interested in the journey.

Michael Silvius

thinking about building another SSSC ( Single Seat Super Cub) and doing videos on seeing how low cost I can build a nice flying single place airplane with a VW engine. ----/ /-------
What do you think? Want to go along with a cheap flying airplane build from beginning to end ?
I think focus on affordability from someone with your experience and ability would be exemplary. I'd like to see more on alternative material choices, not because they are the best suited, but because they are whats readily available and affordable to the regular guy. Poplar instead of Sitka? 1025 vs 4130? Blue DOW foam, etc.... locally sourced stuff. Kind of along the lines of Marvin Barnard's Flying Squirrel. The way it was done before ACS came along and made us all think we have to build with what in their catalog or it would fall out of the sky.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
I think focus on affordability from someone with your experience and ability would be exemplary. I'd like to see more on alternative material choices, not because they are the best suited, but because they are whats readily available and affordable to the regular guy. Poplar instead of Sitka? 1025 vs 4130? Blue DOW foam, etc.... locally sourced stuff. Kind of along the lines of Marvin Barnard's Flying Squirrel.
This makes the whole thing seem a lot more do-able to the average Joe/Josephine. They've seen blue foam sheets at Home Depot.
And in keeping with VBs theme, Pops should be seen writing a paper check for his Home Depot supplies, complete with ledger entry in the back of his checkbook. He bypassed a few millennials who couldn't make their purchase because the card readers were down...

Last edited:

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Since this is apparently closely related to the Koala, perhaps you might contact Fisher (or whoever it is now) and let them know what you want to do. I am hoping (and would expect) thay have no problem with it, and if you handle it right they might put out a SSSC kit or plans supplement and give you a small design royalty, or design credit, etc. OR, you could put out a plans supplement yourself, where somebbody buys a Koala kit from Fisher, then they buy your supplement, and they can create their own SSSC. Fisher would likely sell a few more kits, and get a lot of good press out of it.

From what I have read and seen (from a couple of thousand miles away), it's a fine airplane that delivers very high bang for the buck.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
One other advantage to total loss electric system/ignition:

Video Title: "I Fly in My Plane for 4 Hours Using Rechargable Batteries That Cost $20!! "

That will be worth some clicks.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Since this is apparently closely related to the Koala, perhaps you might contact Fisher (or whoever it is now) and let them know what you want to do. I am hoping (and would expect) thay have no problem with it, and if you handle it right they might put out a SSSC kit or plans supplement and give you a small design royalty, or design credit, etc. OR, you could put out a plans supplement yourself, where somebbody buys a Koala kit from Fisher, then they buy your supplement, and they can create their own SSSC. Fisher would likely sell a few more kits, and get a lot of good press out of it.

From what I have read and seen (from a couple of thousand miles away), it's a fine airplane that delivers very high bang for the buck.
When I was building the SSSC, I talked to the owner of Fisher at the time, ( might have been an email, don't remember for sure) that I had put Koala 202 on the paper work and ask if it was OK. Told him that it was an airplane built to the construction of the Super Koala but to the dimensions of my plans for the 202 for a single place and the Cub look, but not one part is the same of either airplane. He said he had no problem with it. Later he said that he was thinking of doing the same thing and offering a kit and calling it the Super Koala 202 , but a few months latter he sold the business to the present owner. He had a picture of my airplane in his web-site in the Koala 202 section. The plans for the all 4130 steel LG was on the Fisher Group site.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
One other advantage to total loss electric system/ignition:

Video Title: "I Fly in My Plane for 4 Hours Using Rechargable Batteries That Cost $20!! "

That will be worth some clicks.
And I charge with a cheap HF solar panel that cost $15.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
This makes the whole thing seem a lot more do-able to the average Joe/Josephine. They've seen blue foam sheets at Home Depot.
And in keeping with VBs theme, Pops should be seen writing a paper check for his Home Depot supplies, complete with ledger entry in the back of his checkbook. He bypassed a few millennials who couldn't make their purchase because the card readers were down...
Was looking at the price in the aircraft aisle of Home Depot the other day and checking the increase of prices for the SS Bathroom handrails ( AKA- 1.5" for the VW exhaust stacks and 1.25" dia for the intake manifold). Buy two 24" long x 1.5" for the 9" long each exhaust stacks with pre-welded flanges to bolt on. Buy one of the 36" length X 1.25 and have extra straight SS material for the intakes tubes with the 90 deg bends. Before buying check prices at Lowes aircraft store.

5" or 6" tires and tubes from Tractor Supply or buy the large 6" tires as on the SSSC at Summit Racing , sometime on sale with free shipping.

Last edited:

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
Nice looking plane and good choice of a project. Thanks for the SSSC (Single Seat Super Cub) explanation. I never did figure that out till today. Now for your other plane, the JC??

Video is a good idea but more than doubles the work involved. Done right it needs to be accompanied with a good set of plans and the video needs to be more than "this is what I did" it needs to be "this is how you can do it and why it is done this way." Make it a real instructional video for 12 year olds. The important thing is not if they will build one it is that they think that they can build one. That concept will last a lifetime.

Perhaps the local high school can provide some some assistance with all the school changes required because of the virus.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Nice looking plane and good choice of a project. Thanks for the SSSC (Single Seat Super Cub) explanation. I never did figure that out till today. Now for your other plane, the JC??

Video is a good idea but more than doubles the work involved. Done right it needs to be accompanied with a good set of plans and the video needs to be more than "this is what I did" it needs to be "this is how you can do it and why it is done this way." Make it a real instructional video for 12 year olds. The important thing is not if they will build one it is that they think that they can build one. That concept will last a lifetime.

Perhaps the local high school can provide some some assistance with all the school changes required because of the virus.
The other airplane, JMR Special , (Just Made Right and also my wife's initials). JMR was also the name of her company.

Local high school-- that would be the day. Senior high school kids that can't read a 12" ruler.

I wouldn't be doing anything to sell plans or parts or anything, just showing homebuilders that you can build a good flying fun airplane on a budget.
Like I said in post 17, the landing gear plans are on the internet. I have also shipped copies of the 4130 steel landing gear plans to several people for free.
Examples, just rough hand drawing but good enough to build a set of LG from. I also have changes for a heavier airplane.

Attachments

Last edited:

ToddK

HBA Supporter
I think it’s a great idea. The SSSC sure checks a lot of boxes. Fisher really ought to put a set of plans together if you do it.

My opinion... and it’s not worth much.

I really like basic video without too much production featuring a normal guy.

Those real slick showy guys who use their ladies as props, shooting stuff from 100 angles and then editing it all in final cut to broadcast quality turn me off. Seems fake to to me.

Be yourself, use a tripod, explain what your doing, share some good stories along the way. If you shoot on a phone make sure it’s in landscape, and keep the music to a bare minimum. It’s a pretty amazing time in terms of tech. A Go Pro or a used Camera off eBay will do everything thing you need video wise for a song.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I think it’s a great idea. The SSSC sure checks a lot of boxes. Fisher really ought to put a set of plans together if you do it.

My opinion... and it’s not worth much.

I really like basic video without too much production featuring a normal guy.

Those real slick showy guys who use their ladies as props, shooting stuff from 100 angles and then editing it all in final cut to broadcast quality turn me off. Seems fake to to me.

Be yourself, use a tripod, explain what your doing, share some good stories along the way. If you shoot on a phone make sure it’s in landscape, and keep the music to a bare minimum. It’s a pretty amazing time in terms of tech. A Go Pro or a used Camera off eBay will do everything thing you need video wise for a song.
I bought the GO-Pro knockoff that Dana recommended. What I used in the couple of videos on my JMR thread on this site. Simple and easy to use. On an old computer I used to have, I had a simple to use video editing program but can't find one now. I need simple. The reason I would have to get one of my grandson's to do the editing.

Done by a normal guy ? Never accused of being normal, far from it. :) Maybe more of a normal redneck.

lakeracer69

Probably the best thing to document would be the VW engine build and necessary aero modifications and components. Maybe video and commentary on the FWF stuff, along with a decent write up and pictures when needed. I think from reading your posts you have a lot to offer in that realm.

The VW knowledge stuff is really lacking in general. Hoover mods, show 'em, your hot oil box, ignition, anything else pertinent, etc. That stuff is really lacking on the internet.
People need a how-to for the aviation prepped VW.

Building airplane videos are out there, Folks nowadays seem to need someone to show EVERY step along the way, and precisely define it. You do need some different fabrication skills, but they can be mastered. I think people are just afraid to mess up a piece of material trying to make something. welding, machining, bending sheet metal, etc.

Case in point. Tonight I was guilty of this. My fuselage top and bottom tubing is all tacked and jigged up. I was fish mouthing tubing to make a piece to fill in the sides. It had multiple intersecting copes at both ends. I got one end perfect and the other end was close. I took off some more material on one end, and thought I scrapped it. Of course I was pissed, then I thought what the F#ck am I pissed about?
It's $5.00 worth of tubing, I'll make the next one right, press on, hopefully reuse the piece for a shorter tube. I ground a bit more and lo and behold it fit good enough for welding. The tiny bits of material I ground off, to make the part fit right, could never be conveyed in a video or picture. You just have to do it and learn how. My general fabrication skills have been built on making stuff since I was a little kid. You can't be afraid to learn from your mistakes, and you REALLY have to WANT to build an airplane to complete one.

Getting off my soap box now ( Does anyone younger than 50 know what this means?)Hehe

robertl

Dan,
I'd get a real kick out of seeing videos like this, and would learn a lot. Observations:
-- My personal biggest interest is in seeing you build a VW engine, complete with your tricks for the HVX modifications (maybe not required with a 1835cc engine, though?).
-- I'd learn from every step of this build--the welding, the wood, the glassing, the covering. The SSSC has just about everything but sheet metal, right?
-- Would making the videos take all the fun out of the build? Setting up the camera, getting the light right, etc, etc. This would be my top concern. As much as a lot of people would benefit from seeing you work your magic, you shouldn't start (or should quit) if the hassle of the filming saps the fun of the build.
-- It would be great if you discussed the design as you go along. Choices in span/wing area, tail volume, materials used, etc.
-- The snipers and "advisors" would likely be an aggravation
-- Obviously, you should build whatever kind of plane you want. I did think your little simple, cheap motorglider would be a lot of fun. Still, a more conventional design probably has a broader appeal, and you know the SSSC performs well.
-- Folks would sure like to see a Beetlemaster get built. Just sayin . . . :)

Mark
I think editing would be the most work.

robertl

I bought the GO-Pro knockoff that Dana recommended. What I used in the couple of videos on my JMR thread on this site. Simple and easy to use. On an old computer I used to have, I had a simple to use video editing program but can't find one now. I need simple. The reason I would have to get one of my grandson's to do the editing.

Done by a normal guy ? Never accused of being normal, far from it. :) Maybe more of a normal redneck.
That's me Pops, I have lots of video, just don't know about editing it.
Bob

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I think you are correct in nowdays people need to be shown ever step along the way. That is too time consuming. I can work with steel tubing, wood, aluminum and composite but I'm not going to teach each. I was thinking about just building a simple wood airplane the will also require the steel fitting made and the LG and engine mount welded up and the fiber glass for the nose bowl, fuel tanks and aluminum for the flat warp cowl and building it as low in cost as possible.
Still haven't decided.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
I wonder if this editing/production is something an art student in college might want to take on. The problem is the duration of the project-h much longer than one semester. Maybe a grad student would do it as a project for their MA, that could be a year long. They wouldn't need to be nearby.

But it would be better to work with someone who knows about airplanes and building and is doing it because they love building and want to excite a new generation of builders, and capture techniques and a building ethos for others. It could also help a lot if they have a commercial interest in this. Editing and production will take many hundreds of hours.