Quantcast

I have an idea, what do you think ?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
So the JMR Special is finished except the flying off the 40 hrs. The VW pipe ( sand, mud, etc ) buggy is about ready for the final coat of paint and then bolt it together to be finished. That means I have nothing to work on and winter is getting here. Been thinking ( Caution, Caution, or danger, danger Will Robertson ), thinking about building another SSSC ( Single Seat Super Cub) and doing videos on seeing how low cost I can build a nice flying single place airplane with a VW engine. I have enough parts to build several engines, left over 4130 tubing for the engine mount and landing gear, stash of hardware ( pulleys, turnbuckles, bolts, etc ) and 4-- 1"x4" x 20' of Douglas fir boards and can buy aircraft grade Yellow Poplar at a local high end house molding factory from their outlet store at the plant. I always start with building the wood ribs and then the wings, wing fuel tanks. Then the tail surfaces and then the fuselage. Engine can be built somewhere along the other work. I always do a W&B as the last thing to work out the length of engine mount so the W&B comes out where I want it with me in the cockpit ready to fly.

What do you think? Want to go along with a cheap flying airplane build from beginning to end ?

Looking at my records from the build of the SSSC that I finished in 2007, I had $1594.94 in material in the fuselage & wings, and $1795.84 in the 1200 cc, 40 HP engine and $187. in the paint and covering, $237.08 in the hardware for a total of $3814.86 for expenses for material in the airplane for the first flight.

After 35 hrs I removed the 1965, 1200 cc, 40 hp engine and built the 1835 cc , 60 hp engine and new bigger prop.

Free supplies donated from friends
1-- Spruce for the wing spars and fuselage longerons ( left overs from the old Baby Ace factory).
2-- Seat belts and shoulder harness from next door neighbor.
3-- Airspeed from neighbor IA on field.
4-- New Slick Mag and harness from old friend in PA.

I'm sure the cost will be substantially more now.

When building the SSSC, I bought a wrecked Koala 202 for $200 to get the plans and burned the wood. The prototype Super Koala is stored in the hanger next door where I could see the construction. So the SSSC is a Super Koala construction built to the dimensions of the Koala 202, but with different control system, all 4130 steel fittings, landing gear, engine mount. Not one part is the same as either airplane.

Dan R.

Last edited:

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I'd love to see you document a build from beginning to end in short snippets. I will say, though, that's it's frustrating for those who don't have a bunch of leftover or donated components and materials when somebody says, "Look, I built my plane for $5,000!" but there is no way to duplicate it for anything close to that. So I would recommend tallying up the cost of materials and components as you go as if they were bought new today. Just my two cents....

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I'd love to see you document a build from beginning to end in short snippets. I will say, though, that's it's frustrating for those who don't have a bunch of leftover or donated components and materials when somebody says, "Look, I built my plane for $5,000!" but there is no way to duplicate it for anything close to that. So I would recommend tallying up the cost of materials and components as you go as if they were bought new today. Just my two cents....
I agree, adding up the cost of the materials and components that I have and adding the amount to the cost. As we all know shipping cost are getting higher and increasing the cost of the build. Several ways to reduce some of the shipping charges.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
You would be doing the community a big favor, of course. But it has to be something you get enjoyment out of doing, because after the first five or ten videos it's going to be a chore.

Then, when the whole world wants to have 24/7 access to the phone call, e-mail, or Zoom conference with the official free technical support center...

But it would be a very well-received and wanted project.

HINT: Find your nearest techno-geek dim-witted Millennial, and have him or her "produce" it on youtube like Peter Sripol and many others do, and turn it into a small but possibly worthwhile income stream... to pay for your cost of building it.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
You would be doing the community a big favor, of course. But it has to be something you get enjoyment out of doing, because after the first five or ten videos it's going to be a chore.

Then, when the whole world wants to have 24/7 access to the phone call, e-mail, or Zoom conference with the official free technical support center...

But it would be a very well-received and wanted project.

HINT: Find your nearest techno-geek dim-witted Millennial, and have him or her "produce" it on youtube like Peter Sripol and many others do, and turn it into a small but possibly worthwhile income stream... to pay for your cost of building it.
I have a grandson that is a computer engineer and another one that is a electrical engineer that is also good on computers. I just need to sweet talk one of them in helping Pops.
One of them started flying when he got a share in a Luscombe when he was 16 years old, he may be the most interested.

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
...thinking about building another SSSC ( Single Seat Super Cub) and doing videos...
Please, please, pretty please!
You will give young Mr. Sripol a run for his money.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
YouTube video success needs an extrovert character. I suspect that there are cheats for doing the tech side.
That's my problem. Not the extrovert type. Plus I have had to work on my speech all of my life. I had to go to speech therapy before I could start to school. My play mate and myself had our own language and our families had trouble understanding us. My youngest son also had to go to speech therapy before school and the same for his oldest son.

TFF

For the videos, make them for yourself. Don’t worry what anybody says, like you really would. I like the honest videos that shows the work and mistakes and how they are fixed more than any professional montage of how it magically fell together.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
For the videos, make them for yourself. Don’t worry what anybody says, like you really would. I like the honest videos that shows the work and mistakes and how they are fixed more than any professional montage of how it magically fell together.
As you know, it's not magic, it's work, but if you enjoy the work, it's fun. IF I do this, I will need one of my grandsons to do the editing. Heck, I'm lucky to find the off/on switch on this computer :)

Reactions: TFF

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Dan,
I'd get a real kick out of seeing videos like this, and would learn a lot. Observations:
-- My personal biggest interest is in seeing you build a VW engine, complete with your tricks for the HVX modifications (maybe not required with a 1835cc engine, though?).
-- I'd learn from every step of this build--the welding, the wood, the glassing, the covering. The SSSC has just about everything but sheet metal, right?
-- Would making the videos take all the fun out of the build? Setting up the camera, getting the light right, etc, etc. This would be my top concern. As much as a lot of people would benefit from seeing you work your magic, you shouldn't start (or should quit) if the hassle of the filming saps the fun of the build.
-- It would be great if you discussed the design as you go along. Choices in span/wing area, tail volume, materials used, etc.
-- The snipers and "advisors" would likely be an aggravation
-- Obviously, you should build whatever kind of plane you want. I did think your little simple, cheap motorglider would be a lot of fun. Still, a more conventional design probably has a broader appeal, and you know the SSSC performs well.
-- Folks would sure like to see a Beetlemaster get built. Just sayin . . . :)

Mark

Last edited:

David Moxley

Log Member
It would be great to watch you build another aircraft Dan. You are one heck of a the craftsman . Have to do something over the winter !

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
You will give young Mr. Sripol a run for his money.
He can be "The Anti-Millennial"! Every video can feature something that just short-circuits their little brains... using the expression "tin foil" instead of aluminum, using a rotary dial phone to call Aircraft Spruce, adjusting the rabbit ears antenna on top of a black and white TV, opening a can of soda with a separate "pull tab", cooking popcorn in a pan on the stove... that would be nothing short of hilarious :)

It will also get every middle aged and older person in the world to tune in to your videos. Pops you can get your 15 minutes of fame without having to go all the way to Hollywood!

Wayne

Log Member
My only question is “Why have you not started already?!!! Daylight is burning!

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Dan,
I'd get a real kick out of seeing videos like this, and would learn a lot. Observations:
-- My personal biggest interest is in seeing you build a VW engine, complete with your tricks for the HVX modifications (maybe not required with a 1835cc engine, though?).
-- I'd learn from every step of this build--the welding, the wood, the glassing, the covering. The SSSC has just about everything but sheet metal, right?
-- Would making the videos take all the fun out of the build? Setting up the camera, getting the light right, etc, etc. This would be my top concern. As much as a lot of people would benefit from seeing you work your magic, you shouldn't start (or should quit) if the hassle of the filming saps the fun of the build.
-- It would be great if you discussed the design as you go along. Choices in span/wing area, tail volume, materials used, etc.
-- The snipers and "advisors" would likely be an aggravation
-- Obviously, you should build whatever kind of plane you want. I did think your little simple, cheap motorglider would be a lot of fun. Still, a more conventional design probably has a broader appeal, and you know the SSSC performs well.
-- Folks would sure like to see a Beetlemaster get built. Just sayin . . . :)

Mark
Been waiting for you to do the Beetlemaster. Every few weeks I get all the notes out of the folder and dream. Would be one heck of a good airplane and nice for traveling for 2 people and baggage. To big of a project for me at my age. Heck , I now buy ripe bananas instead of green ones now.

IF I do this, I'll just build a 1835 cc , 60 hp VW engine like the last one but to same money use the car distributor, and a total lost system electric system with just a battery powering the coil for the fire. With the right coil I believe the drain is about 2 amps. ALso maybe spurge and add a windmill generator on the LG Vees. Is is on the cheap, so a Slick mag and wires is out of the question. Have a friend that had a 1/2 VW that did that with a 12v x 5 amp model airplane starting jell-cell starting battery and he could fly 2 hrs between charges and when the voltmeter got down to 10 volt. Had some flashlight D cells on a switch for a back up. Put 1050 hrs on the Mini-Max doing that. Went cross country from NC to Cleveland, OH by stopping every two hrs and filling up the 5 gal fuel tank ( At 1.7 gph) and charging the battery. Local newspaper article about him flying around the border of WV in 2 days.
The only sheet metal would be the top and bottom wrap for the cowl. Simple flat pieces the the bend on the bottom cow bent over the edge of the building table.
Yes, I would use the HVX mods for the extra head cooling even on the 1835 cc engine. My 1835 engine ran so cool that if the OAT was under 70 degs I had to shut off the air to the oil cooler. But I still had the oil oil box cooling the oil 20 degs.
Thinking about staying with the 30' wing span and 120 sq' of wing area, just a good combination. I have had fun working lift with that span , area and a GW of about 750 lbs. That's 6.25 lbs per sq'

So IF I do this, are we settled on this ?

Attachments