• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

I don’t know what I don’t know

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flienlow

I don’t know what I don’t know.
I do know the thought of building my own airplane really appeals to be. It would be the ultimate “do it yourself project.” –Providing you don’t impact middle earth in a torrent of hell fire. I’m not the type of person that can leave a project undone. I get focused to a fault and usually get consumed by them. I feel this would be a good characteristic of a home builder. Who wants to pay 15k and have dusty aluminum hanging around the garage for years on end? That would be foolish in my book.
So what to build? Easy- Turbine Lancair IV with a 4 blade prop, and glass panel. – Oh Sorry, dreaming again. I am coming to you straight outta locache!
I need a reasonable priced airplane, but what? What can I build out of pocket? And more importantly what considerations does one need to make? I called the Zenith Company today. They told me the CH750 will be around 75k once completed and will require about 400 hours building.- I was quite taken back by that, I was really hoping it could be done in the 30’s. The CH750 is not a very sexy plane, but it is wearing on me. I like the Zenith low wing as well. I also really think it would be fun to have a flying boat such as the Searey, but I’m not sure that would be the best choice for where I live and cost is a factor.
One big question I have is, after I build the airplane: Can I sell it? What would it be worth? More than cost of parts or far less?
VFR night flight?
Could other people fly it?
How much ebaying can you do with parts, or do you need all brand new certified parts?
What would be good for a first time who hasn’t a clue about building something?
I wont be building anything right away, just simply trying to do a feasibility on whether I should attempt it, or take up golf.

Open to Opinions and suggestions.
-you can’t ruin my dreams any better than my wife!

Thank you in advance.

Back