I bought plans to a ULF-1 and want to build it. Yeah, I said it.

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

clonesix

Hello all,
I am new to this forum, and wanted to make an introduction for me and my proposed project. I have built many balsa flying models over the years, and wanted to take on a nice project in retirement. I was able to find a set of plans to an ultralight sailplane, ULF-1. When I look at the plans, and read the instructions, I realize that there are many terms that I need explained to me, or the drawings don't make the sense that I would like, and I will need some explanations. I will ask later.

I am a complete newb, and will have to set up the garage for this and build several jigs and such. I haven't even begun, but I thought I would post it here as my introduction. As I get more progress, I will likely ask several building questions here.

Funny thing is, I am not even a pilot yet. I had plans to start pilot training in 2021, but this COVID thing has kept me at home for the time being.

Brünner

HBA Supporter
Welcome to this great forum, I'm sure lots of ppl will be able to help you with the construction.
Glad to have you here.

D_limiter

Lifetime Supporter
Welcome! Great way to embrace your dreams and move them forward even in this bizarre year. Lot’s of help to be had on this forum.

GeeZee

HBA Supporter
There was a group in North Carolina that was building a modified ULF-1 using foam ribs, etc. I believe their goal was electric self launch. Never heard about it flying or any progress reports.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Hello all,
I am new to this forum, and wanted to make an introduction for me and my proposed project...
Welcome! You've got a bazillion little wooden parts in your future (the ULF-1 is just that way), but your modeling experience should serve you well there.

Looking forward to seeing your build!

clonesix

Thank you everyone, If this were to be just an RC glider, I would feel perfectly within my skill range to build this as a straight and true flyer. If this will carry a person into the air, I am not so sure of my skill level. To even understanding the instructions will require some explanation.

My first thought was seek out professional help. I have found places that will help you build your ultralight, but as this is a bunch of sticks glued together, it isn't the average kit plane.

the construction manual talks of building a "Rig Board" and I think this is the same as a build board for balsa RC, but without the cork surface for push pins? I can build a nice flat table for the build. If I put it on casters, it will roll about the shop for build days.

My issue thus far is that the blueprints are old and some of the drawings are 1:2 scale, some are 1:5 scale, and the drawing for the keel is 1:2 scale in the X direction, and 1:5 scale in the Y direction. I would like nice 1:1 drawings for my sticks. Do I re-draw these? Re-print? Once this is worked out, I can begin my future of small sticks, sorting small sticks, arranging small sticks. and gluing small sticks...let's not forget gussets too.

Woodenwings

If you were abke to mofel all of the parts in CADD like solidworks...build a complete 3D model. It would be very useful.... also a good way to visualise the next steps...generate any files for cnc or whatever.

proppastie

Log Member
1:2 scale, some are 1:5 scale, and the drawing for the keel is 1:2 scale in the X direction, and 1:5 scale in the Y direction.
are they dimensioned or do you have to scale (measure )the drawing?......... you would be best to at least redraw in a simple 2D cad program to get an idea what they should look like....3D cad is harder. If there is a web group for this aircraft you should join and ask questions and find problems......Often plans have mistakes so good drawn to scale drawings will help you find those mistakes. I used to make drawings for a living and of course I say "it all starts with good drawings".

Woodenwings

I could do it for you if you could wait for me to get around to it. It might be very interesting.

challenger_II

So, for grins, scale it to 1/4, and build it for R/C. That will do two things: First, you get to find all the mouse traps, in a less expensive format, and 2nd, you get the pleasure of flying the beastie, and learning her secrets before you commit you precious bum to the task! Sounds like a win-win-grin, to me! :)

Thank you everyone, If this were to be just an RC glider, I would feel perfectly within my skill range to build this as a straight and true flyer. If this will carry a person into the air, I am not so sure of my skill level. To even understanding the instructions will require some explanation.

My first thought was seek out professional help. I have found places that will help you build your ultralight, but as this is a bunch of sticks glued together, it isn't the average kit plane.

the construction manual talks of building a "Rig Board" and I think this is the same as a build board for balsa RC, but without the cork surface for push pins? I can build a nice flat table for the build. If I put it on casters, it will roll about the shop for build days.

My issue thus far is that the blueprints are old and some of the drawings are 1:2 scale, some are 1:5 scale, and the drawing for the keel is 1:2 scale in the X direction, and 1:5 scale in the Y direction. I would like nice 1:1 drawings for my sticks. Do I re-draw these? Re-print? Once this is worked out, I can begin my future of small sticks, sorting small sticks, arranging small sticks. and gluing small sticks...let's not forget gussets too.

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
...the construction manual talks of building a "Rig Board" and I think this is the same as a build board for balsa RC, but without the cork surface for push pins?...
I believe it is, though I calculate a 12.374% chance it has something to do with control rigging (just kidding). I've seen people use magnetic rig boards for building aircraft and they swear by them. Not sure how that might work for you, or where to find info on them.

Arkan

Welcome aboard! These guys hanging in these threads are awesome and have lots of knowledge to share! ( present company excluded, I am still learning). But for all that lays ahead, someone (usually several, each with their own idea) will have the solution you seek. Looking forward to see your progress.

challenger_II

When I built my PlayToy, which was a welded structure, I layed out the tail plane drawings on my welding bench, and used magnets to hold the tubes until tacked.
So, I can see where building a good, flat, sturdy wood building bench, and laying a sheet of steel on top, would work for building a straight wood structure. The ribs, and any curved structure, would be an issue, though.

I believe it is, though I calculate a 12.374% chance it has something to do with control rigging (just kidding). I've seen people use magnetic rig boards for building aircraft and they swear by them. Not sure how that might work for you, or where to find info on them.

Bille Floyd

The ULF-1, looks like it would be a BLAST to fly !!!

wikipedia says it gets a 16:1 glide ; and it's good for +6/-4G's
with an Ar of 8.1 ; it should be an absolute JOY to center-Up
into a thermal , (especially with such a light wing-loading) !!!!!

If you live near Las Vegas , you got my Free help on the
build ?

So, for grins, scale it to 1/4, and build it for R/C. That will do two things: First, you get to find all the mouse traps, in a less expensive format, and 2nd, you get the pleasure of flying the beastie, and learning her secrets before you commit you precious bum to the task! Sounds like a win-win-grin, to me! :)
What He said ^.

Bille

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Clone6, come to the Experimental Soaring Association event in Tehachapi, CA in early September. You will meet all the top people in this field, you will learn a huge amount that will help you, you will have access to significant resources.... and you can see/touch/study the completed ULF-1 that someone has there at the same airport.