• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

I-beam spars in a Kitfox

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WurlyBird

I have been talking with a man who has a Kitfox 4 kit for sale that I am considering. There are two things that he has done which I want more information on first though and I hope you all can help.

First, the fuselage was extended 8" in order to help compensate for a heavier then normal engine. How should something like this be accomplished? Where should welds be/not be? What additional or redesigned internal support should there be? I am looking for what kinds of things I (and an A&P of course) should look for during a pre-buy inspection.

Secondly, and I think more importantly, the wing was constructed using I-beam spars instead of the tube spars it is sold with. According to the guy it was built to Citabria specs. I have no doubt that I-beams are potentially lighter and stronger then the tubes but I am curious how all of the manufactured parts will fit together when intended to be assembled on tubes. Again, what should we look for upon inspection? Any thoughts on a modification like this?

Thanks for the input

Back