• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

I am building a tractor, side by side, engine behind pilot gyroplane.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sabine

Firstly, Margie, thanks so much for fixing my glitch and enabling me to join your forum.
I have for the last 10 years, when time has permitted and when I have been near my workshop, been developing a side by side tractor gyroplane. Sadly I have now had to put it on hold and seek work in the UK. I live/lived in South Africa. I guess there are reasons for everything and being away from my project is also a great time to think, ponder and research. When I started out on the project, I employed an aeronautical engineer and he based all of his design criteria on BCAR T (British civil aviation authority) who have a weight limit (all up 2 pax and full fuel of 600kgs). We started with a Subaru EJ20T- the weight 104kgs barebones and the boxer configuration make the placement of fuel tanks veryIMG_1733.JPGIMG_1736.JPGIMG_1743.JPG complicated and so am now looking for an engine/redrive of sub 100kgs. So far I am seriously leaning towards a Mercury 2 stroke fuel and oil injected powerhead which certainly looks very positive. The next unknown is the long carbon fiber prop-shaft (1500mm+-) to the propeller that goes through a kevlar tunnel in the cockpit. It would seem that torsional vibration has historically been a problem here. Molt Taylor and others rectified this using a Flexidyne coupling and my thoughts are, surely today there is something out there that is lighter and possibly better (motorcycle slipper clutch?). I really would appreciate your thoughts on these. I enclose a couple of pics for your perusal. Kindly Sabine.

Back