I am building a tractor, side by side, engine behind pilot gyroplane.

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Sabine

Firstly, Margie, thanks so much for fixing my glitch and enabling me to join your forum.
I have for the last 10 years, when time has permitted and when I have been near my workshop, been developing a side by side tractor gyroplane. Sadly I have now had to put it on hold and seek work in the UK. I live/lived in South Africa. I guess there are reasons for everything and being away from my project is also a great time to think, ponder and research. When I started out on the project, I employed an aeronautical engineer and he based all of his design criteria on BCAR T (British civil aviation authority) who have a weight limit (all up 2 pax and full fuel of 600kgs). We started with a Subaru EJ20T- the weight 104kgs barebones and the boxer configuration make the placement of fuel tanks veryIMG_1733.JPGIMG_1736.JPGIMG_1743.JPG complicated and so am now looking for an engine/redrive of sub 100kgs. So far I am seriously leaning towards a Mercury 2 stroke fuel and oil injected powerhead which certainly looks very positive. The next unknown is the long carbon fiber prop-shaft (1500mm+-) to the propeller that goes through a kevlar tunnel in the cockpit. It would seem that torsional vibration has historically been a problem here. Molt Taylor and others rectified this using a Flexidyne coupling and my thoughts are, surely today there is something out there that is lighter and possibly better (motorcycle slipper clutch?). I really would appreciate your thoughts on these. I enclose a couple of pics for your perusal. Kindly Sabine.

Geraldc

I was reading about carbon fibre driveshafts and one of their benefits is soaking up torsional vibration. As well as 2 Giubo couplings would
there be a need for any other damping?
Question for the experts here.

saini flyer

Firstly, Margie, thanks so much for fixing my glitch and enabling me to join your forum.
I have for the last 10 years, when time has permitted and when I have been near my workshop, been developing a side by side tractor gyroplane. Sadly I have now had to put it on hold and seek work in the UK. I live/lived in South Africa. I guess there are reasons for everything and being away from my project is also a great time to think, ponder and research. When I started out on the project, I employed an aeronautical engineer and he based all of his design criteria on BCAR T (British civil aviation authority) who have a weight limit (all up 2 pax and full fuel of 600kgs). We started with a Subaru EJ20T- the weight 104kgs barebones and the boxer configuration make the placement of fuel tanks veryView attachment 95468View attachment 95469View attachment 95470 complicated and so am now looking for an engine/redrive of sub 100kgs. So far I am seriously leaning towards a Mercury 2 stroke fuel and oil injected powerhead which certainly looks very positive. The next unknown is the long carbon fiber prop-shaft (1500mm+-) to the propeller that goes through a kevlar tunnel in the cockpit. It would seem that torsional vibration has historically been a problem here. Molt Taylor and others rectified this using a Flexidyne coupling and my thoughts are, surely today there is something out there that is lighter and possibly better (motorcycle slipper clutch?). I really would appreciate your thoughts on these. I enclose a couple of pics for your perusal. Kindly Sabine.
Very interesting. I cant add to the TV input but wish you success. Your vertical tail suggests a very long mast. Why not just flip it 180degrees as you have such a tall stance?

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Wow. Interestingly different "take" on this type of aircraft. Best of luck to you on your job search, I hope you're soon able to resume work on your project, and welcome to the forums! :)

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
Look at the Stemme S-10 driveline for ideas.
I would think the Flexidyne housing may be heavy, but the engine needs a flywheel anyway and the housing might substitute somewhat for a flywheel.

Sabine

Very interesting. I cant add to the TV input but wish you success. Your vertical tail suggests a very long mast. Why not just flip it 180degrees as you have such a tall stance?
Thanks for your comments- always appreciated. The mast is approximately 1200mm above the fuselage and the rotor won't contact the tail. I will be shortening the rather silly looking tailwheel- I don't like it and it was originally an attempt to put more load onto the mains.

Sabine

Look at the Stemme S-10 driveline for ideas.
I would think the Flexidyne housing may be heavy, but the engine needs a flywheel anyway and the housing might substitute somewhat for a flywheel.
thanks for the lead- one of the greats of the outboard powerhead is the very small size of the flywheel, which will be on the other end of the crankshaft to the output.

Sabine

Wow. Interestingly different "take" on this type of aircraft. Best of luck to you on your job search, I hope you're soon able to resume work on your project, and welcome to the forums! :)
thanks so much

Sabine

I was reading about carbon fibre driveshafts and one of their benefits is soaking up torsional vibration. As well as 2 Giubo couplings would
there be a need for any other damping?
Question for the experts here.
your response is greatly appreciated- yes the 80mm dia filament wound shaft will be very stiff- if Guibo couplings would do the trick I don't know. The trick seems to be allowing the engine to start first, hopefully keeping the TV out of the operating range of the engine and prop.

rotax618

I have a Nissan 350Z which has a carbon fibre tailshaft, perhaps you could look at adapting one of these, the later 370Z also has a carbon tailshaft.

Sabine

I have a Nissan 350Z which has a carbon fibre tailshaft, perhaps you could look at adapting one of these, the later 370Z also has a carbon tailshaft.
I had the bespoke carbon shaft made up for me. It is filament wound as per several racing car / supercar manufacturers and balanced afterwards.

galapoola

The Bell P-39 Airacobra has a similar layout, have you looked at how they did it?

Sockmonkey

Thanks for your comments- always appreciated. The mast is approximately 1200mm above the fuselage and the rotor won't contact the tail. I will be shortening the rather silly looking tailwheel- I don't like it and it was originally an attempt to put more load onto the mains.
As that's going to raise the cockpit a little, I suspect you're gonna want to add a step on your main gear legs for easier entry, and so you don't bruise a thigh on the lower door lip when getting in.

Toobuilder

Log Member
Wondering what requirements drove the trade study to favor such a complex powerplant configuration? Why not just hang the tractor engine off the front, or make it a pusher?

GeeZee

Here’s an old thread you might find interesting.

Sabine

As that's going to raise the cockpit a little, I suspect you're gonna want to add a step on your main gear legs for easier entry, and so you don't bruise a thigh on the lower door lip when getting in.
At the moment its quite easy to step onto the wheel and in and mindboggling if she wears a mini

Blackhawk

Hi Sabine,

You have done an excellent job on your tractor gyro, what HP are you looking at using.

Your design is very much like my design from 2002; which I never got around to build.

Scorpion Tractor Gyro.jpg

Geraldc

That looks like a candidate for the D-Motor.It is compact water cooled and direct drive.