• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Hydroski

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

narfi

I would like to discuss this further, but do not want to cloud up the Skigull thread. (perhaps a moderator can move the applicable posts here if they feel that is appropriate.)

My experience in this is limited to 180s/206s/beavers/otters/Supercubs on floats/amphibs, both aluminum(nothing more miserable than working on aluminum floats) and composite, so my questions will tend to use them as my personal baseline from lack of a broader knowledge base.

L/D (of the hull) is the metric. Orion was rather taken by them and discussed them at length on HBA. Turns out L/D of a ski is in the same neighborhood as L/D of a planing hull.

If I understand this correctly you are saying that a hydro-ski holding the aircraft out of the water produces a similar amount of drag as a planing hull. In other words all else remaining equal, a traditional floats or boat type seaplane has the same amount of water drag while up on step as it would once up on skis?

If that is the case, then the question is, How slow can you get the aircraft out of the water with the hydroskis?

(traditional lodge flying has the 206/beaver plowing around at full throttle (at an ungodly hour in the morning without getting on step)then returning to the dock to offload a case of beer and trying again.....)

Displacement hulls can be made to work for an amphibian, but only if it's pretty slow and really long. Outside that realm, you're into extremely narrow hulls (say 30 ft long, 5" wide), planing or skis.

You lost me here... I will try to read it a few more times.
Everything is displacement when not moving correct?
30ft by 5" ? or do you mean 30' x 5' ? I dont see anything being 30ft long and 5 inches wide being practical, and if you mean 30ft by 5ft then you are already bigger than a 206 fuselage....

By then skis make a lot of sense. A huge fraction of the weight of boats/amphibians is in the skin construction that has to be sturdy. Ridiculous if you have simply raise it above the water so it only has to survive big impacts at low speeds (say 10 kts), instead of going mighty fast (say 60 kts).

I think this is the same as my earlier question, "How slow can you get the aircraft out of the water with the hydroskis?"
Do you have any ideas?

Back