Hydraulic or elecric for a prop?

Discussion in 'Firewall Forward / Props / Fuel system' started by StRaNgEdAyS, Jan 14, 2006.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jan 14, 2006 #1

StRaNgEdAyS

StRaNgEdAyS

StRaNgEdAyS

I just thought I'd throw a question out there and see what the general consensus is.
    I'm looking at using an MT prop over the IVO, I know the IVO is cheaper but every time I think of those blades getting warped to change pitch it gives me the willies, and that's an argument for a whole new thread. The question I have is since looking at the data, the electric and hydraulic weigh pretty much the same (so I get no advantage there, but I'm leaning toward the hydraulic for simplicity. I'm yet to find out if I can use a hydraulic system with and auto conversion/redrive setup, but I'm taking a punt that a hydraulic line can still be plumbed into the prop hub in any case) what then do those that are using either or have used both think of them?

2. Dec 7, 2006 #2

johnpiepers

johnpiepers

johnpiepers

props

Personally, my experience with an electric prop is that some of them are constructed so cheap that they fail within 100 hours. East Euro props are known for that. Gears completely worn out after a couple of hours, real bad stuff and a tbo of 500 hours too..
    The only good electric props are from MT and Airmaster, had some good experience with the last one.

3. Dec 8, 2006 #3

StRaNgEdAyS

StRaNgEdAyS

StRaNgEdAyS

Thanks for that John. :D
    I've pretty much settled on the MT, I'll have to admit I've not even heard of East Euro Props before, but I'll be sure to approach with caution if I do.

4. Dec 8, 2006 #4

johnpiepers

johnpiepers

johnpiepers

I meant with East Euro props: propellers from east european countries. I'v seen some props from Kremen that were really bad after some hours flying. I think that in this case paying more money for a propeller really means more bang for the buck..

5. Dec 13, 2006 #5

Falco Rob

Falco Rob

Falco Rob

Hey Strange,

After a lot of research I finally settled on an MT 3 blade hydraulic prop.

The main advantage over the electric is that the hydraulic pitch change action is about 6 times faster. Also the electric is a little more expensive.

If you go with MT make sure you buy it through Vans.

They will sell MT's to anyone, unlike Hartzells, where I believe they have an agreement to sell only to RV builders.

The reason for suggesting Vans as your choice of supplier is, quite simply, the cost.

The best I could get from an agent in Oz was almost A$20K, but Vans sell them for US$8K. To that you must add GST, freight and the exchange rate, but it's still about A$6K in front.

Mine is on it's way from Germany now, about 6 months after ordering, so if you want one, plan in advance.

Rob

6. Dec 13, 2006 #6

StRaNgEdAyS

StRaNgEdAyS

StRaNgEdAyS

6 times faster??? that's quite a speed difference.
    I'm still looking at a four bladed unit, so I expect to be a little out of pocket when it comes time, a 6 month waiting list is not so bad when I'm looking at 4-5 years until I'm ready to mount it. Who knows once we get settled again (yes we have to move yet again :rolleyes: ) I can start building in earnest. At the moment I've a nice collection of fittings and that's about it. :gig: