Hydraulic oil for riveter

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

mstratman

I have an ATD hydraulic riveter that recommends "a quality hydraulic oil such as Mobil DTE 10 or equivalent," but I'm having trouble finding it in smaller quantities.

Anyone know if there's any harm in using power steering fluid or jack oil?

Matt G.

If those were my two choices, I'd pick hydraulic jack oil. Power steering fluid may or may not be compatible with the seal materials used.

BoKu

Pundit
HBA Supporter
To be clear, we're talking about a pneumatic pop rivet puller that uses a hydraulic circuit between the pneumatic cylinder and the pulling head, right?

If so, I can report that about 20 years ago I bought a pneumatic pop riveter that for some reason had leaked or otherwise lost its fluid and ended up in the two-dollar bin at a garage sale. I refilled it with jack oil and it has functioned perfectly ever since.

Tiger Tim

I got one similar to how BoKu did except mine was in the scrap metal bin at work. I picked up a small bottle of air nailer oil at Home Depot as I figured they had to work on similar principles. So far so good.

mstratman

To be clear, we're talking about a pneumatic pop rivet puller that uses a hydraulic circuit between the pneumatic cylinder and the pulling head, right?
Yep, exactly. Not oil for lubrication (for that, like Tiger Tim, I'm also using some air tool oil).

Thanks everyone. I'll just use some jack oil and call it a day.

Group Builder