Hurricane Ian

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

MACOWA

Supporting Member
If history repeats, there will be some aircraft salvage bargains here in Florida in a few days.

Hopefully none will be mine. I moved them to the back of the hangar today, and put my truck in the front of the hangar. We expect to lose electric power, but we have a generator that will run the AC, lights, well, hot water heater, microwave, and electric skillet in the hangar office. Probably will not have internet access.

BJC
12 years ago the Trask river jumped its banks and flooded Tillamook (TMK). Lost aircraft & tooling, nothing left to salvage. Praying you will have better luck.

FinnFlyer

I practiced aerobatics over the intercoastal just east of Sand Key Park, south of the Clearwater bridge. It was a designated aerobatic box, but that didn’t stop people from flying through it, apparently only looking down. I flew only late in the day (minimal traffic), but frequently had to break off a routine for intruding traffic.

Saw the Shuttle, aboard the B747, fly down the beach at low altitude. Saw it from the ground, not in flight.

BJC
Interesting. I've never noticed that on any map. Been flying from CLW since 1986.

Of course we typically fly West of the beach.

Finn

BJC

Supporting Member
Interesting. I've never noticed that on any map.
It was there in the early 1980’s. Hasn’t been there for a long time, but still was an area where people went to fly aerobatics into the 1990’s.

Edit: I just looked on the ForeFlight sectional at three sites that have or had aerobatic practice areas. None was on the chart, even though I verified that one definitely remains active.

BJC

Last edited:

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
It was there in the early 1980’s. Hasn’t been there for a long time, but still was an area where people went to fly aerobatics into the 1990’s.

Edit: I just looked on the ForeFlight sectional at three sites that have or had aerobatic practice areas. None was on the chart, even though I verified that one definitely remains active.

BJC
IIRC Sectional charts have never shown aerobatic practice areas.

Bille Floyd

I think the LA Class B chart has some notation about the Santa Paula ...
Fun story about that airport :
Was 1990, and I was dating a girl in San Diego. We took a trip
up to Santa Paula to visit a friend of hers , and went to that airport
to hang out and watch airplanes fly, (we both flew Hang Gliders).

So we head to the pilots shack, and there are a few old farts hovering
around a young woman ; they were giving advise on how she should
instruct flying lessons , (it was her first job with her ticket).

She looks up and says : "I know you" , and my girlfriend gets Bummed
really Bummed !! LOL

From selling HG rides at Torrey Pines all through the 80's ; it was
a safe bet that she had paid me for a one , and I told her that was a
good day !!

Before she took the ride , she was majoring in film editing at UCSD ;
after the HG ride she dumped college and went and got her instructional
ticket for airplanes .

My HG ride ; it had a major impact on the young Lady's life !!!

Bille

PMD

South Florida took a hit, but, so far, we have no issues here. The storm quickly lost energy after landfall, and now is a tropical storm. The center of rotation is about 50 nm SE of us, with the heavy rain all north of us. I’m optimistic that we will not lose electrical power.

BJC
How did you make out with rain, more wind, storm surge and power issues?

BJC

Supporting Member
How did you make out with rain, more wind, storm surge and power issues?
We had steady rain throughout the storm, but only a few minutes of heavy downfall. I estimate that we had 4 to 6 inches over two days.

Never had really high ground level winds. My yard is full of Live Oak trees, which are notorious for continually shedding limbs. Just finished cleaning up the front yard this AM, and none of the limb tips on the ground exceeded 1.5” diameter, and most were less than 3/4”. My guess: ground level winds were less than 25 knots.

I’m in north central Florida, (97FL) so no storm surge.

We never lost power. The northern part of the airpark is in Marion county. They were without power for most of yesterday. They are served by Duke. We are served by a REA, SECO.

BJC

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
Before she took the ride , she was majoring in film editing at UCSD ;
after the HG ride she dumped college and went and got her instructional
ticket for airplanes .

So because of you, she's a broke homeless flight instructor living in a hangar and eating Ramen soup, instead of being the next George Lucas and having lunch with Spielberg?

You hang glider guys are almost as bad as those skydiver scumbags and us gliderport trash!

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
So because of you, she's a broke homeless flight instructor living in a hangar and eating Ramen soup, instead of being the next George Lucas and having lunch with Spielberg?

You hang glider guys are almost as bad as those skydiver scumbags and us gliderport trash!
Yea but she is a girl and a CFI and can get a free drink anytime she anytime cares to visit.

That is a lot from an old fxrt retired pilot like xxx.

Bille Floyd

Yea -- I did that , to the poor unsuspecting wench ! LOL

All she has to look forward to now, and the rest of her
pathetic life ; that will be the joy and Freedom of Flight , up high
in the heavens, with, "All" her wordily problems, stuck firmly
on the ground , and completely out of her grasp !
What an absolutely Awful thing to do to another human ; and
the sad part , (if I had to do it all over) Yep -- I would !!! :) :)

Selling glider rides to near 3,000 people , over 1.5 decades ; I
feel really Good about myself, for doing that !!!

Bille