Hurricane Ian

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

BJC

Supporting Member
If history repeats, there will be some aircraft salvage bargains here in Florida in a few days.

Hopefully none will be mine. I moved them to the back of the hangar today, and put my truck in the front of the hangar. We expect to lose electric power, but we have a generator that will run the AC, lights, well, hot water heater, microwave, and electric skillet in the hangar office. Probably will not have internet access.

BJC

Mcmark

Byron,
I don’t envy you folks having to ride that storm out.
Be safe, you’re in thoughts and prayers.

Reactions: BJC

Mcmark

Thx for the update, sir.
I’m surprised she gave it all up!
Someday soon we will get together and have a cuppa joe on me.
Stay safe.

collector

Went past our little field here in Crystal River this afternoon, and it looked abandoned !!! Never could figure out where all those planes go !

Malish

I did flew to Homestead, Fl. few day's after hurricane David(if I remember right) to bid on salvage aircraft there and I was shocked to see what kind of damage hurricane did, even hangar's was destroyed to a peaces. And those hangar's that still standing had walls shuttered with holes from flying debris that looked like someone shot at them with machine gun. Some aircraft was rolled on the ground to the point that they looked like snow balls from the metal.
So, be careful and stay safe there.

dog

look out
we are still cleaning up in Nova Scotia,and the rest of the maritimes,power is still out for many
smashed stuff everywhere,houses and people washed to sea further north
took out some of my paddock fence and a bit of
roof damage,but my solar panels did fine and they
are on an exposed mount and took the full wind
from the back side

Hawk81A

A tornado has already damaged at least a half dozen planes at Broward County Airport. Saw a picture on a newsfeed with a few pics of damaged planes. Flipped, one of a low wing on its side with a wing tucked under, a few piled on top of each other. Dennis

BJC

Supporting Member
Given the lousy tie-downs at many airports, plus the owners’ decisions not to fly the airplanes to a safe area, I’ve often wondered if the owners are just wanting to collect insurance on a totaled airplane.

BJC

Hawk81A

Very good possibility. Saw several USCG C-130s leaving PIE yesterday and figured they were evacuating the aircraft to a safer area. We often get "free airshows" from the 130s and CG Jayhawks, as well as Army Reserve Blackhawks and the occasional Chinook buzzing the beach. Oh, almost forgot the KC135s which are WAY out of their normal corridor. Dennis

mikoman

Supporting Member
Yes again, hunker down and be safe. Here in Tennessee we are too far inland to have any hurricane force winds but in past have gotten a lot of rain from a degraded storm and other storms we have had just over 75mph gusts but nothing sustained. Worry about more tornadoes up here but very few in my neck of the woods but as the saying goes never got struck by lighting but it still sucks when its you...LOL.... Everyone in Florida stay safe

Hawk81A

I live in South St Pete near the big lake (under pattern for SPG, PIE heavies, and MacDill - except when they stay in their corridor). I work on St Pete Beach (where we evacuated all of our equipment yesterday). For some reason everybody likes to fly up, or down the beach. Probably an ego thing. I used to like to "work the beach" a few times when I used to fly - 40 years ago. I was aware that it was probably the most dangerous area to fly around here as everybody out there was NOT looking at where they were going. Dennis

BJC

Supporting Member
For some reason everybody likes to fly up, or down the beach. Probably an ego thing. I used to like to "work the beach" a few times when I used to fly - 40 years ago. I was aware that it was probably the most dangerous area to fly around here as everybody out there was NOT looking at where they were going. Dennis
I practiced aerobatics over the intercoastal just east of Sand Key Park, south of the Clearwater bridge. It was a designated aerobatic box, but that didn’t stop people from flying through it, apparently only looking down. I flew only late in the day (minimal traffic), but frequently had to break off a routine for intruding traffic.

Saw the Shuttle, aboard the B747, fly down the beach at low altitude. Saw it from the ground, not in flight.

BJC

Hawk81A

Saw the Shuttle, aboard the B747, fly down the beach at low altitude. Saw it from the ground, not in flight.

Never knew about the Shuttle doing a fly-by over this way. I would have liked to seen that. Post solo, I used to do most of my flying early on Monday mornings. The planes were always available, less air traffic, and the weather was smoother. In 1942 Life Magazine did an article with a lot of B-17 pictures. There was an interesting picture through the glass nose of a B-17E (last one with a framework). I was able to identify the land mass below as...Sand Key. Dennis
BJC