Humor

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

blane.c

I remember when the earthworm thing became newsworthy, and I recall McDonalds deflecting from the issue but not outright denying it. IIRC, I think McDonalds even eventually fessed up to it sometime later. It didn’t surprise me much because I had read that the USDA even authorized a certain percentage of earthworm added to ground beef patties to reduce shrinkage on the grill and named multiple chains that also used this.

I had already sworn off McDonald burgers only because I had burned out from eating so many of them (and I had an In’n’Out burger open near me), but the earthworm thing wouldn’t have bothered me because we all have to eat a pound of dirt before we die and Air Force Survival Training had us eating all sorts of strange insects, creatures and cuts of meat. I did go back to McDonalds for an occasional Big Mac (earthworm and all).
Remember when OZ sold kangaroo meat to the major food chains pretending it was beef? I laughed, I've eaten Roo!

Wanttaja

I've had 5 different wives and several different airplanes . Down to wife #5 , two airplane projects two corvettes , two Suziki Samurais , a Model A Ford and projects that I can no way finish before I cash out . Barely able to afford that hamburger that is listed above . Hungry .
You ain't a quitter! Wait a second maybe you are, I am confused.
Some guys are just into catch and release.....

Ron Wanttaja

PredragVasic

Are there any other occupations you'd like to call out as particularly unsuitable pilots? Lawyers, professors, neurosurgeons, perhaps? Among the pilots I know (ranging from bartenders to engineers) income is a poor indicator of airmanship, which seems to be your insinuation. Unless there's a statistical basis, your position smacks a little of resentment.
I don't think that was the point. The V-tail Bonanza, with over 250hp under the cowl, retractable gear and a constant speed prop was quite a lot of an airplane for someone trained on C-152 or a Warrior. Doctors (and lawyers) have always been upper-middle-class earners, and they tend to represent the higher share of Bonanza owners. They don't automatically make bad pilots; they simply bought more airplane than they could handle, because they could afford it, and those in somewhat lower income brackets (engineers, professors, accountants) couldn't, so they got less expensive birds, which were easier to handle by low-time pilots.

Mind you, this was the case at a time when everyone was the first owner of his plane; in other words, when you were buying a plane new from the factory. Today, such stereotypes no longer apply, since you can get a new C-172 for $300k, and an old Bonanza for $30k. So, you can have both bartenders and engineers flying anything, from an old Mooney, to a new Cirrus and everything in between. Everyone can buy themselves as little or as much of an airplane as they can afford, with quite many old ones out there for a a reasonable sum. In other words, today, that Bonanza is no longer just a doctor killer; it is an equal-opportunity killer.

Rhino

RVs (though no particular model) had a similar reputation among homebuilts. Too many people built/bought them without the requisite skills to fly them safely, and a high accident rate resulted. There's nothing wrong with RVs or Bonanzas of any configuration. There were/are just too many under-skilled pilots flying them. That's really nothing new in aviation, and unfortunately it likely won't go away anytime soon.

blane.c

It is for me a time of remembering when I was a low time pilot who was trying to be safe in his little airknocker with little money, skill, or knowledge of what the rules really meant or how they applied, to now after over a decade of flying four engine transports with men and women I consider the best pilots in the world. I see where the beginners are at and I want to help them so desperately in my soul. It is hard, I see now where I did not listen or understand echoed in the beginners who come into this forum, they simply do not know. I hope experience is as kind to them as it was to me.

mcrae0104

Log Member
...they simply bought more airplane than they could handle, because they could afford it...
I'm aware of the oft-repeated argument, and you captured it well, but I think you may have missed my point, which is that without some evidence that accidents in a certain type of aircraft were disproportionately caused by a particular profession, it's mere speculation.

I don't dispute the logic of the idea that those with more disposable income have more opportunity to make the foolish decision to operate an aircraft outside of their abilities, but they also have more opportunity to access the training and experience to make it safe. It's a question of good judgment and ADM, not profession. I was reacting to the suggestion linking income with BS.

I think this horse is dead now. :)

blane.c

I'm aware of the oft-repeated argument, and you captured it well, but I think you may have missed my point, which is that without some evidence that accidents in a certain type of aircraft were disproportionately caused by a particular profession, it's mere speculation.

I don't dispute the logic of the idea that those with more disposable income have more opportunity to make the foolish decision to operate an aircraft outside of their abilities, but they also have more opportunity to access the training and experience to make it safe. It's a question of good judgment and ADM, not profession. I was reacting to the suggestion linking income with BS.

I think this horse is dead now. :)
Horse alive and kicking. I have flown past to many smoking holes while they were still smoking. Any idea that means will out weigh experience or education is retarded, not that kind of retarded that is recessed in the DNA and shows up once in every third or fourth generation but that retardation that is enhanced by generations of incest, drug and alcohol abuse, that kind of retardation.

blane.c

Lets be clear, I am as tolerant as anyone you will ever meet. I don't care if you are pink with polka dots or any other color and I do not care your ethnic origin mostly I embrace these things.

I have no sensitivity whatsoever, if you are sensitive I suggest you get some suave.

Pops

Log Member
I thought the ants were actually kind of tasty. Not very filling though. The worms though,....... I don't even want to think about those.
Ants have a little lemon taste, not bad really, just to small. The reason you need to know what local vegetation to eat is because maybe you will not have to resort to eating any worms or grubs.
Nothing like biting down on a grub and the insides squirting in your mouth.

Rhino

Ants have a little lemon taste, not bad really, just to small. The reason you need to know what local vegetation to eat is because maybe you will not have to resort to eating any worms or grubs.
Nothing like biting down on a grub and the insides squirting in your mouth.
Yep. Like I said, some of the memories were not so good. But the memory of the looks on other people's faces as they also did this were kind of entertaining. Actually helped make the experience more tolerable. Misery loves company, especially when you can laugh at it. :D

There's also the edibility test for vegetation if you aren't familiar with it, but you have to wait a long time before you get to eat. And if something fails and you have to start over, you have to wait a loooooong time.

My instructor at E&E said the trick was to swallow them whole... :)
Ours did too....... after we'd eaten.

Rhino

...but I think you may have missed my point....
Horse alive and kicking....
I'm thinking it's actually the horse who may have missed the point. I don't think the stated premise was that doctors were disproportionately likely to prang the airplane more than anyone else. It's just that their income level allowed them to disproportionately purchase aircraft that were beyond their skill level. They weren't the only ones in that category of course, but the 'prestige' of their vocation allowed many people to slap the 'doctor killer' moniker on the situation, as many people with limited knowledge and/or intelligence are wont to do. Lawyers had the same problem, but they aren't always held in such high esteem as doctors, so the 'prestige' factor wasn't high enough to have the moniker attached to them. And let's face it, 'nuclear physicist killer' just doesn't roll off the tongue as easily.

So I don't think blane was saying doctors were worse pilots than others in the same circumstances. They just made convenient targets for an uninformed verbal label or idiom. The Bonanza fits into the same mold. It wasn't worse than anything else. The circumstances just made it a convenient target.