Humor

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Wanttaja

I'm curious, does anyone keep accident statistics (deaths or incidents per hour flown or whatever metric you like) according to the occupation of the pilot? They say there is a kernel of truth in all humor (if this could be called such) but is there any truth to be found in this oft-repeated narrative?
Haven’t seen such information in the NTSB reports….

Ron Wanttaja

mcrae0104

Log Member
More seriously...
I always take facts more seriously than opinions, as I know you do too, as a professional aviator.

This likely holds true to other professions were income is high and so is the bull * .
Are there any other occupations you'd like to call out as particularly unsuitable pilots? Lawyers, professors, neurosurgeons, perhaps? Among the pilots I know (ranging from bartenders to engineers) income is a poor indicator of airmanship, which seems to be your insinuation. Unless there's a statistical basis, your position smacks a little of resentment.

cheapracer

Log Member
My wife and I were discussing the grocery bill. We make fresh dogfood. The dogs cost more to feed than we do!
There was a nonsensical news story in Australia a few decades ago that some older people were so poor, they had resorted to "eating dogfood", the reports were debunked by showing the costs of dogfood ...

Rhino

There was a nonsensical news story in Australia a few decades ago that some older people were so poor, they had resorted to "eating dogfood", the reports were debunked by showing the costs of dogfood ...
Same thing happened years ago with rumors that McDonalds was using earthworms in their hamburger. Ray Kroc (the founder) was cornered in an airport and was asked to comment about it. He said sure, have you checked the price of earthworms lately? I can't afford to put them in my hamburger.

Last edited:

bmcj

Same thing happened years ago with rumors that McDonalds was using earthworms in their hamburger. Ralph Kroc (the founder) was cornered in an airport and was asked to comment about it. He said sure, have you checked the price of earthworms lately? I can't afford to put them in my hamburger.
FACT CHECK: Ray Kroc was not the founder of McDonalds Hamburgers. That honor belongs to brothers Richard and Maurice McDonald. The brothers created the fast food assembly line concept that served them so well, and they freely shared the concept (and training) with other aspiring fast food chain creators (many of the well known chains owe their success to their tutelage). Ray Kroc took a job with McDonalds to develop franchise opportunities, but Kroc took control of the namesake through some shady legal trickery. The brothers still maintained some of their original restaurants, while Kroc controlled any future stores and even tried to rewrite history to say that he was the founder of the company and the process. I remember when new builds started placing a bust of Kroc in the lobby along with a plaque declaring Kroc as the originator of McDonalds.

I hated seeing that change because I grew up eating at the original McDonalds hamburger stand where the brothers still worked tirelessly. They were both very kind and upright gentlemen. Needless to say, I was P.O.’d every time I saw a bust of Kroc.

Back to aircraft… anyone ever hear about the “McDonald” Douglas Aircraft Company???

OhAnElBirds

Back to aircraft… anyone ever hear about the “McDonald” Douglas Aircraft Company???
James S. McDonnell (the founder :) ) started his first company and built GA aircraft in Milwaukee in the late 20s. It failed during the Great Depression, and J.S. went to work for Glenn Martin before starting a second company that focused on military aircraft located along the north side of Saint Louis' airport in the late thirties.

McDonnell built the original (and second) Phantom for the Navy as well as the Banshee and Demon. They built the Command Modules for the Mercury and Gemini programs, the Voodoo, and several missile systems before merging with Douglas in the late sixties.

Tiger Tim

A shiny, polished P51 would probably bring out way more fancy females than the unloved Bf109
I admit I’ve never owned or operated a Mustang or Bf-109 but if they’re anything like other cool planes and cars I’m involved with you can expect to meet every dude in a five mile radius.

Wanttaja

I admit I’ve never owned or operated a Mustang or Bf-109 but if they’re anything like other cool planes and cars I’m involved with you can expect to meet every dude in a five mile radius.
So we should replace all the women on that with men, and have them flying a Pride Flag? After all, they must be proud of their airplanes.... :)

Ron Wanttaja

blane.c

I've had 5 different wives and several different airplanes . Down to wife #5 , two airplane projects two corvettes , two Suziki Samurais , a Model A Ford and projects that I can no way finish before I cash out . Barely able to afford that hamburger that is listed above . Hungry .
You ain't a quitter! Wait a second maybe you are, I am confused.

But you don't give up! Oops.

Well any way, I always figured a wife two kids and a divorce and you were bankrupt so no money to eat, it figures.

You have courage though I give you that, I have only the courage to marry one woman five seems so scary, I can't imagine the fortitude.

blane.c

So the Lord is talking to a couple of engineer/scientific types when one pipe's up, you know we don't really need you anymore Lord, we can make our own people now. So the Lord says "really" "that is interesting" "show me" (obviously having "people" in Missouri). So the guy who "piped up" bends over and starts gathering up some dirt and what-naught, where upon the Lord inquires humorously "what are you doing" and the guy says "I'm just collecting some dirt to form a human" the Lord replies "no no no! You go get your own dirt!"

Last edited:

bmcj

Ummm, the post was about the worms thing.
I remember when the earthworm thing became newsworthy, and I recall McDonalds deflecting from the issue but not outright denying it. IIRC, I think McDonalds even eventually fessed up to it sometime later. It didn’t surprise me much because I had read that the USDA even authorized a certain percentage of earthworm added to ground beef patties to reduce shrinkage on the grill and named multiple chains that also used this.

I had already sworn off McDonald burgers only because I had burned out from eating so many of them (and I had an In’n’Out burger open near me), but the earthworm thing wouldn’t have bothered me because we all have to eat a pound of dirt before we die and Air Force Survival Training had us eating all sorts of strange insects, creatures and cuts of meat. I did go back to McDonalds for an occasional Big Mac (earthworm and all).