• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBuiltAirplanes and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Airplane For Sale Hummel Ultracruiser

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

I think Terry told Dennis that the empty weight is dry weight, so no oil in the sump. Not sure if that's accurate or not. How's your build going?
did not take time to look it up but I remember in A&P school that empty weight is exssentially fully airworthy with all essential equipment and fluids. (gliding weight???) At least I remember subtracting unusable fuel and adding oil weights...

Turd Ferguson

Supporting Member
Curious how part 23 stuff gets applied to "ultralight vehicles". If it's not an airplane, which rules do or don't apply?
It doesn't. I hope it wasn't implied that it does.

I was simply pointing out why some people think full oil is part of empty weight - because in Part 23 airplanes, it is included in empty weight.

MACOWA

Supporting Member
If the engine going in is a 2 cycle 503, with oil injection, then the oil bottle should be empty for determining EW.
YEP! if it's in an O/I system its fuel as well.
Correct! But what if the engine is liquid cooled? Is the coolant part of empty weight?
I should think so. It is an essential part of the power plant as are the fins on an air cooled engine.

I declare, another Honcho driver. Had one back in the 90's, bought it and hauled it home on a boat trailer, put the wings on it and started flying. It only had a single cylinder 18 hp Cuyuna engine and a 5 gal plastic tank and we never did a W/B on it. 48 mph WOT, checked by my wife while I was flying next to her car. Ah, the good ole days.
Bob
I purchased all the wing inventory from Bess Gage including some of the tooling and sold a couple of wing kits utilized on other builds, etc. Have maybe 25 wing kits except 1-1/4 tubing. Several thousand numbered parts all stored and boxed by number. Good for limited production and only $2500.

Regdor

I find it “interesting” that this thread can go on for such a long time about price and cost and have zero feedback or discussions about the real issue, weight versus FAR 103 as noted in my post above.

I can only assume that indicates a very broad disregard of Federal Regulations.

Interesting!

Edit: For what it is worth one of my side jobs is to make aircraft such as this one “compliant”. I do have a little “secret sauce” but I find it very difficult to sell or even give away.

It may be that this builder or buyer used his “secret sauce” but wants to keep the secret private.
There are some people who enjoy doing things on the edge of legality, even though most of the people in aviation have an
exemplary character, it is not unknown for a guy who likes and can build an Experimental AB (or other) to do so without
putting his name on a document and then sells the completed craft to someone (likely with similar values) who fills out the
paperwork as if they did the building (or 51%)of it....I have seen this happen and it does reduce my friend list....

Turd Ferguson

Supporting Member
it is not unknown for a guy who likes and can build an Experimental AB (or other) to do so without
putting his name on a document and then sells the completed craft to someone (likely with similar values) who fills out the
paperwork as if they did the building (or 51%)of it....
You make is sound like that crosses some line of illegality? Can you explain?

Hawk81A

I wonder whatever happened to the goomer that flew his “fat” UL autogyro to Wash DC, landed it on the mall, and tried to deliver letters to all the members of Congress for some cause. He didn’t get too far, but the big question was, ”what would they charge him with?”
That guy was from Sarasota down just south of me. He ended up being charged with operating w/o proper pilot's certificate and got 4 months. All other charges were not prosecuted as part of the plea deal. Kind of doubt he's doing any flying though. Dennis

Bigshu

Supporting Member
There are some people who enjoy doing things on the edge of legality, even though most of the people in aviation have an
exemplary character, it is not unknown for a guy who likes and can build an Experimental AB (or other) to do so without
paperwork as if they did the building (or 51%)of it....I have seen this happen and it does reduce my friend list....
I'm being very scrupulous about the Ultra Cruiser as far as weight is concerned. Regarding the 51% rule, that's only talking about it being amateur built, which in your scenario it is. I think your concern is maybe the repairman certificate? But as long as the builder owner shows good knowledge of the systems and insides of the build, ought to qualify if the examiner says so. If you're saying the guy who sells the aircraft is doing it for hire, that's another story. The marketplace is full of partial or complete builds that are being sold. I don't think anyone is making money on those sales, just cutting losses. Flying examples that already have an airworthiness cert. get expensive quickly, but that's not the scenario you set forth.

Larry650

I wonder whatever happened to the goomer that flew his “fat” UL autogyro to Wash DC, landed it on the mall, and tried to deliver letters to all the members of Congress for some cause. He didn’t get too far, but the big question was, ”what would they charge him with?”
Insurrection, of course.

I think your concern is maybe the repairman certificate? But as long as the builder owner shows good knowledge of the systems and insides of the build, ought to qualify if the examiner says so. If you're saying the guy who sells the aircraft is doing it for hire, that's another story.
Since the Ultracruiser is an ultralight (Part 103), there is no "made for hire," nor "51%," nor "repairman certificate," nor pilot certificate, nor examiner. Build her and weigh her. If she's <254 pounds, go fly her (just don't try to teach yourself how to fly in her). The FAA doesn't want to know your Ultracruiser exists, so keep her out of controlled airspace.

Do you get how Part 103 works, now? Just because an ultralight resembles a heavier version of itself, doesn't mean it has to be regulated as such.

Bigshu

Supporting Member
Since the Ultracruiser is an ultralight (Part 103), there is no "made for hire," nor "51%," nor "repairman certificate," nor pilot certificate, nor examiner. Build her and weigh her. If she's <254 pounds, go fly her (just don't try to teach yourself how to fly in her). The FAA doesn't want to know your Ultracruiser exists, so keep her out of controlled airspace.

Do you get how Part 103 works, now? Just because an ultralight resembles a heavier version of itself, doesn't mean it has to be regulated as such.
I agree, but I think the question I was responding to was hinting people were doing shady things with EAB aircraft. I think there are lots of part 103 builders out there selling complete compliant vehicles. More power to them.