Hummel is flying an Ultracruiser with a Predator

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

billyvray

This build level typically is rated around 35-40 hp from the various users (mostly for golf carts, buggies, mowers, etc). I'm curious about the flywheel as those from Performance 670 don't have charging magnets for a charging system. Not insurmountable at all, just curious if they have added that or are charging the battery on some interval.

Flyguyeddy

Supporting Member
This build level typically is rated around 35-40 hp from the various users (mostly for golf carts, buggies, mowers, etc). I'm curious about the flywheel as those from Performance 670 don't have charging magnets for a charging system. Not insurmountable at all, just curious if they have added that or are charging the battery on some interval.
The hummel installation does not use a charging system, they use a jump pack to start the engine

Flyguyeddy

Supporting Member
I thought the ballistic chute allowance was for the actual weight, up to the allowance limit. Not just a blanket weight increase for other items. Am I wrong on that?
Thats how i understand it, although some people think you can put a 5lb chute in and still have 20lbs left over for other stuff. I disagree with that stance

Bigshu

Supporting Member
The problem is where would you attach it to that wouldbt decapitate you when the chute opens?
Since it's open cockpit for pt103, I think you could secure the shrouds to the same hardpoints as the seatbelt, and let them run behind the seat, or the bulkhead behind the seat. I haven't looked to see if anything would be practical.

Flyguyeddy

Supporting Member
Since it's open cockpit for pt103, I think you could secure the shrouds to the same hardpoints as the seatbelt, and let them run behind the seat, or the bulkhead behind the seat. I haven't looked to see if anything would be practical.
I doubt the seatbelt "hard points" would take that load. I imagine theyd just rip out. Its just a .040 doubler riveted to the skin, after all.

GeeZee

I thought the ballistic chute allowance was for the actual weight, up to the allowance limit. Not just a blanket weight increase for other items. Am I wrong on that?
From AC 103-7
(i) Up to 24 pounds of weight associated with the parachute system
may be excluded by the FAA without requiring a separate weighing of the system components.

If they don’t require “a separate weighing of the components” then you get to the full 24 lbs. That seems to be the industry consensus as well. As an example Chip Erwin says for his Aeromarine merlin lite to remain part 103 it needs a ballistic chute if you want doors.