HUD

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

BJC

I wish there would be one manufacturer delivering a unit for trikes,Ultralights, powerchutes ect.
The instructor of a fellow college flying club member refused to recommend the student for his private check ride, because the student was unable to turn with adequate altitude control. After being forced to use the HUD, i.e., look out the windshield at the horizon, he quickly progressed and passed his check ride.

BJC

blane.c

My wife's car came with a head up display this year. It shows just above the dash just to the right of that area occupied by the state tags/stickers. The road isn't visible in that area just the hood. It has speed and speed limit and when the navigation is on course guidance. I've only driven it twice so it probably has other stuff if you get around to fiddling with it (it can't be seen from passenger side of car).

If an airplane heads-up display projected onto a small rectangle that the only other thing you can see is the boot cowl or cowling and information is basic like airspeed, turn and bank, altitude, heading it could be handy, on the other hand trying to display all the information mission control has could be detrimental, I am sure there have been studies as to what is useful and what is just extra photons in such a system and it like most things in flying will have a lot to do with both experience and training as to how many photons an individual can actually use while actually flying the airplane.

blane.c

I don't like that heads up for aircraft. (1) it is in the wrong location for an aircraft in my opinion. (2) it focuses to much on map information.

I would prefer just some basic information in analog type display in lower center portion with basic information, Airspeed, Altitude, Attitude (turn & bank) Heading. Just keep it simple. Maybe the ability to have a couple momentary switches one for basic engine info like rpm temps and pressures and a second for time to next heading/altitude and the speed you want to be at when you arrive at it, but when you release pressure on either switch the display defaults back to "normal".

Vigilant1

The other pilots I share the VFR skies with expect me to be looking for them without a lot of extraneous stuff projected into my field of view. I expect the same of them. The Mk 1 eyeball ain't perfect, and it doesn't need anything getting in the way.
If these goggles could provide reliable visual cueing (like the target designator box in a fighter HUD, which is driven by the AI radar or IRSTS), then I would be interested. But until ADSB/ TCAS covers a lot more targets, I think I'm better off without the visual clutter.

Last edited:

Victor Bravo

The J-3 Cub also had a highly advanced HUD display specifically for fuel management.

All kidding aside, FWIW I support low-cost HUD technology on many aircraft, if it actually does help keep the pilot's eyes and focus outside the aircraft. But the truth is that this technology is overkill for any and all of the types of aircraft that you (and many of us here) are interested in.

Rhino

But where do you look when you havent a windscreen or instrument pod?
You probably look at ads for an aircraft bigger than an ultralight. I understand the motivation and desire, but at some point you have to consider this may be overkill for that type of aircraft and flying. An ultralight is grass roots, seat of the pants flying. Absolutely nothing wrong with that whatsoever, but it isn't something you look to install an ILS system on. I considered a HUD for my CH 750 STOL at one point, but then slapped myself for being ridiculous. As others have noted, it might actually get in the way. Having said all that though, I would think a helmet visor type of system would be more preferable for an ultralight. A big enough visor could allow the displayed information to be better placed in areas that weren't going to clutter critical vision spaces, and a helmet might be easier to keep secure than a goggle on some ultralights. I won't hold my breath waiting for that to happen, but technology is advancing at some amazing paces, so who knows?

Rhino

Yeah, that's why I understand the motivation and desire. That disadvantage isn't new to ultralights. Most just accept it and do what they must, which is undoubtedly what others who fly your particular craft are doing. Smaller helicopters have the same problem. Without the ability to conjure up magical panel space, you're kinda screwed. That's not unique to ultralights either. There's very few pilots out there who wouldn't want more panel space. I'm making some major compromises because I don't have the panel space I need. There are bigger panels I can put in my plane, but that would take away from the awesome visibility it has, so compromise is necessary in some way. We all make those compromises. They just differ in scope and complexity with type. We pick the aircraft based on how we want to fly (or we're supposed to anyway), and then we start making compromises on how to make it work best after that, but it's never perfect. But like I said, advances in technology may give you what you want soon. Until then, you take enjoyment out of what you have, just as we all must do.

Last edited:

blane.c

What do you need? (1) Most want airspeed but for really low and slow angle of attack indicator would suffice, If you know RPM's of engine + angle of attack you pretty much know if you are climbing, descending, or more or less straight and level barring the effects of severe downdraft. (2) Turn and bank, next I want to know if my wings are level or in a turn and if it is coordinated. (3) Altitude If you know the height of terrain below you and subtract it from the altitude displayed you know how much room you have to screw up in. (4) Heading, am I going in the direction of steeper terrain or lower terrain or maybe just the direction I want to go.

Back when I flew for pure fun interesting things appeared below me, Moose appeared not so infrequently, People and people stuff of course there is always that, Military was sometimes funny ... well at least then it was, coming over a ridge and seeing an encampment with the full smorgasbord Tanks under camo and people in camo pointing and stuff, happened several times. I don't think they saw the little Champ coming on there equipment back then so surprise! Of course I flew with a sectional chart and an enclosed cockpit so learning the art to fold a chart so you can "roll it" while flying and keep the pertinent information near where you are at is a skill you should master but ... hard to imagine in open cockpit, bet more than one chart went with the breeze.

So (5) rudimentary map, for gods sake you only need to know where you are in relation to a few things and combine that with your heading information, you do not need to know how to get to Mars.

Likely (5) should be on a momentary switch with heading and altitude.

Last edited:

Rhino

Okay....

Now you just have to figure out how to not have it blow away.

gtae07

IMHO a HUD that doesn't overlay the outside view is practically useless in an airplane, and one that isn't focused at infinity is of questionable value. MiL's Mazda has a little HUD on the dash but I'm tall enough it just overlays on the dash itself. Silly thing is just annoying and I don't bother adjusting things so I can see it.

I would think in a GA context a HUD would be most useful in IMC, especially if it were reliable enough to put good nav data on it. A "wearable" (glasses-like) HUD could be of use VFR too, if it could move with your head and be smooth about it; put a couple basic parameters in the corners and overlay traffic boxes and perhaps airspace (might be good for avoiding complex airspace). Bizjets with IR cameras can overlay that picture on the HUD, and that would be really neat for night or IMC as well.

All that said, I'd put a HUD in my RV if it was relatively cheap and could feed off the Dynon datastream. Just for kicks, of course.

TFF

A good HUD should have quite a big spread for VFR. Glancing to the sides or corners for information, but mostly looking out at the terrain. You might narrow it down for IFR with an artificial horizon but it will be in the way once you clear clouds. You really need variable projection.