Quantcast

Howdy! Beginning a Bobcat restoration

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

sethhope

Howdy all!

My name is Jesse, but I go by Seth as it's my middle name. I'm a car mechanic turned truck driver and I'm always looking for another project to fill my time off.

I've been thinking about building my own aircraft for several years, and I finally decided to take the plunge. I found a mostly complete, well built bobcat with blueprints (not full plans, but full blueprint plates). I plan on restoring the work that was done on it, and finishing the aircraft.

As far as I have been able to deduce, the original builder was an engineer. He made a few minor changes to the airframe to increase rigidity across the fuselage and wings without a significant weight increase. He did not follow the supercat modifications exactly, but his changes are well documented and his math checks out.

My issue is that I don't have a construction manual for the aircraft, and that contains some useful information that I would significantly benefit from. Is there anywhere that the build manual has been uploaded, or someone here that could point me in the direction of a construction manual? I searched and found a few threads talking about the build manual here, but not much in the way of resources.

Any help would be appreciated!

pwood66889

Dang, Seth. Just don't have a build manual.
Do have advertisements and a letter from Bob Baker dated 1988.
Did indeed enjoy the look of that guy! Could just imagine it in US Navy colors, WWII style.
Visited one once, but as a traveling consultant, I could not have an airplane. Someone has to drive the U-Haul to the next gig! Long story... :-(
Wouldn't mind looking at what you got if you were close to NW FL.
I hope you're able to scare up something on HomeBuiltAirplanes.com and welcome aboard!

sethhope

Dang, Seth. Just don't have a build manual.
Did indeed enjoy the look of that guy! Could just imagine it in US Navy colors, WWII style.
Visited one once, but as a traveling consultant, I could not have an airplane. Someone has to drive the U-Haul to the next gig! Long story... :-(
Wouldn't mind looking at what you got if you were close to NW FL.
I hope you're able to scare up something on HomeBuiltAirplanes.com and welcome aboard!
I'll post pictures here next time I get down to the shop in a day or so. I have no letters or information besides the rolled up drawings. I'm the third owner. The original owner passed away about 10 or 15 years ago. The second owner never touched it and just had it sitting in a garage. Somewhere between the two, the letters and construction manual got lost.

I'm based out of Springfield MO currently, but have plans for some cross-country flights once I get some wings. Will definitely visit Florida.
Thanks for the welcome! I hope I can find some good info here.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Did indeed enjoy the look of that guy!
Bobby Baker was a very charismatic and likable guy, but I don’t recall him being so handsome to warrant a comment like that. 🤣

Seth, when I knew Bobby (early 70’s), he lived in Piggott Arkansas, about 220 miles from you. I don’t know if he’s still around or if he stayed in Piggott, but you might reach out to some of the aviation people in that area to see if they know of any construction books floating around. Being a local designer, someone there or a family member might have a set tucked away somewhere.

Last edited:

delta

Welcome and good luck with your project... Seems like Wicks handled the plans at one point in time, maybe still do. I found a "Google group" that had some interesting comments. The last post was in 2018. Google Groups

sethhope

Quick question to y'all, if I can track down a construction manual, would it be frowned upon to post PDFs of all the paperwork? I'd love to provide it to anyone else who might be in my situation.

TFF

I’m about 80 miles south of Piggot and although I knew the Bobcat was from there, I have never heard anyone talk about it. There is a duster repair place in Hayti Arkansa. While they might not have any documentation, I bet they have anecdotes.