How you doin'

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Jman

Site Developer
Hey John,

Well, the good news is that yesterday I was officially informed that I have been accepted into Army flight school!!
:ban: :ban: :ban: .

This is a huge milestone for me because, although I was confident I would be accepted, now it's official and the waiting and wondering is over. I will find out on Friday exactly when I will be attending. I'm thinking it will be sometime in the fall.

The thing with Army flight school is that you have to attend the Warrant Officer Candidate School (WOCS) first. WOCS is legendary for it's insane physical and mental torture. Its six weeks of living hell from what I understand. Because of this I'm pretty much just concentrating on getting in shape and studying the subjects they will be teaching in WOCS school. Things like military leadership, wear and appearance of the Army uniform, Military Justice, physical fitness, the structure of the Army, etc. Very exiting stuff! :rolleyes:

One thing I wanted to point out was that even with these changes going on for me HBA will continue to be here. Me going back into the Army is not going to affect this site at all. It will continue on as it has and hopefully grow into something much better. I will be needing some help in the near future though. I will be completely cut off from the outside world during WOCS school so I will be asking around to see if there is anyone who is familiar with this type of site (Vbulletin) who would be willing to watch over things during that time. If anyone is interested please email me.

How’s your Flitzer coming John?

Jake

Johnny luvs Biplanes

Congratulations Jake, I bet you are well pleased, WOCS sounds fun :D What happens after passing out from there? Good luck with it. Flitzer progress is as follows: Got the plans! :D just starting on my workshop now, just bought all the wood for the jig bench and new workbench, then onto new electrical system/lights and finally some draft proofing. I'll be able to start building then, in the meantime I have been working on the prototype in my photo posted earlier to give me a better insight into it! Cheers, John :ban:

John Slade

What happens after passing out from there?
Easy. You get up and run like hell to catch up with the other guys.

Congrats, Jake. Keep an eye on the sky as you go through WOCS and remember that you're doing this so you can join the birds you'll see up there. If WOCS is anything like RAF OTC you'll find the sky a great inspiration. Also - don't query the logic of what they ask you to do. Just do it and understand that they're reforming you're character. First they have to dissassemble it. :gig:

Jman

Site Developer
Johns,

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. Besides looking forward to flight school I will also be looking forward to another milestone. My wife will be waiting with a set of Cozy plans to hand me directly after walking off the graduation stage! I'm not sure which is the greater motivation :gig: .

What happens after passing out from there?
From there I go straight on to Initial Rotary Wing Instruction (helicopter flight school). That lasts about 10-11 months depending on which helicopter they decide I will fly. I'm hoping for Blackhawk but will settle for Chinook. With what I know right now (which may change later) I will be trying to avoid attack as best I can. All of the pilots I have talked to so far have all mentioned how attack helicopter flying is not all it's cracked up to be. Less flight time and boring missions.

As it stands now, I'll be right at the upper age limit for attending flight training. I'll be just about 29 by the time I start and 29 is the cutoff. Nothing like waiting to the last minute!

Jake

Johnny luvs Biplanes

Jake that all sounds great, I hope you enjoy.
Jake and John The Cozy mk4 has just been approved to be built in the UK now! Good luck with your project Jake and John, have you flown your bird yet? Regards to you both, John :D

Craig

WOC

Jake - a WOC is what one throws at a wabbit!

Seriously, I think you'll do very well - like John Slade says, remember to just DO what they tell you, don't wonder WHY. They disassemble you mentally and physically, and rebuild you in their fashion.
I agree with you about Chinooks - more flight time, more interesting misions (how many folks get to lug a howitzer around?), and really a much safer airframe. More crew guys, too.

Wish i could say I was familiar with Vbulletin, but I'm not.

WOCS still at Rutger?
CW

Jman

Site Developer
WOCS still at Rutger?
Must be a nickname? Yeah, it's at Ft. Rucker still. Were you a Warrant?

Well I made the trip to spokane and found out when I ship. I leave for training on Oct 2nd. 2.5 months from now!!! :lex:. Not a lot of time to finish up what I need to do to get ready. No problem I'll make it happen! Just finish up the remodel, sell the house, and move the family. :rolleyes:

At least now I can say that within 4 months I will be flying for a living!! :ban:

Jake

Craig

Jake - Nope, not an Army Warrant. Navy airedale, but before I went to war the Navy sent me to Rucker to learn to be a crewman. Then SERE at Yuma, AZ (for jungle?????) at the MCAS base there.
Did you know that, despite all physics to the contrary, the ONLY reason helicopters fly is because they vibrate so much the earth rejects them! Really, in the UH-2B/C, I could fire that M-60 all I wanted, and the pilot never knew unless brass flew forward. He couldn't feel or hear it. No wonder I enjoyed getting my Glider CFI so much!
"Mister, do you know what a WOC is?"
Sir, a WOC is what one throws at a wabbit, Sir!"

Actually overheard many times each day at the chow hall!!! Along with "Hows the cow", and other arcane bits of military intelligence!!!!!
:ban: