How would you win the Sport Racing class/why am I wrong?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Anybody who can just out and out win Reno, while flying in a clown suit and clown makeup, has certainly earned the status of a legend :)
A clown class would certainly be fun. How many clowns can you stuff in Dreadnought or a T-6 and go spin around the pylons?
Untitled-1.jpg

mm4440

Hmmm, that Fiat AS.6 with uncoupled crankshafts isn't what I am doing, but might be an option for Reno racing. It probably isn't practical to direct couple crankshaft together that long because of torsional vibration.
There have been LS based V-16s built. Caddie had one in a show car: 1000hp.

sming

Found it running :)
In another interview, it's fitted with 2 blowers for marine application, apparently good for 2000HP @ 6000rpm for 15 minutes... sounds like what's needed for Reno!

AeroER

Build a fast airplane, then practice, preferably with another airplane.

Sraight'nlevel

NXT with a LS based V-8, turbo'd to an easily achievable and reliable 1500 HP. That should carry the Gold for a year or two

Reliable 1500 hp really ?

2 big block aluminum V8's in the DO-335 configuration. Steel tube fuselage, composite flying surfaces. Gear retracts into fuselage.

Why not something in the lines of small DhHornet or Pond Racer or mini P-38 ?

ak_flyer

Like any kind of racing with curves, speed is lost in the corners. Keeping the airplane light so speed has minimal loss and then acceleration out of the corner is achieved sooner. The most HP possible is preferred but at what weight cost. Pilot skill is a HP boost. Study your opponent. Look at how a Glasair 3 which is a design from the early 80's has beat the smoothed-out lines of the Lancair and the aerodynamics put into the NXT. So, my question is how you make the Glasair 3 better than Jeff Lavelle's Race 39 and are you as good or better than Jeff as a race pilot? I'm thinking an all carbon Glasair 3 with some wind tunnel testing to find the little bits of parasite drag to reduce. If permission granted, R&D (rip off & duplicate) Race 39 FWF. Win the lottery so you could spend as much time finding out if you have the ability to be the pilot of such a beast.

sming

I would be interested in understanding why the glasair is faster than the lancair at Reno... Is it span/aspect ratio? Weight ? Size ? Better Aero while beeing boxier? Horse power secret sauce on race 39? I'm curious of what this knowledgable crowd thinks :)

BJC

HBA Supporter
I'm thinking an all carbon Glasair 3 with some wind tunnel testing to find the little bits of parasite drag to reduce.
Known issues on Glasairs: interference drag at the horizontal and vertical stabilizers, exposed aileron counterweights when ailerons are deflected, cooling air drag around the very crowded front LG assembly, NACA FI air intake not optimum, reverse airflow into the tail cone around the rudder and elevator actuators, oil cooling air flow drag, wing root LE. I’m confident that there are others.

It is likely that a greater span would reduce total drag at Reno.

BJC

User27

The rumour is Jeff Lavelle is running something like 80"+ of boost, perhaps it is a horsepower race?