How would you win the Sport Racing class/why am I wrong?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Tiger Tim

Simple enough question for the optimists: assuming you had the time and money how would you win the Sport class at Reno? About the only rules I found on the aircraft itself was a maximum total of 1000 cubic inches displacement for all engines and strong, maneuverable, and fast enough to meet their minima.

Don’t worry, pessimists, I have one for you too: how would the ideas in this thread fail?

Last edited:

TFF

Money no object? I would have a custom turbo1000 cid mini Merlin in a P-51 like crossed with F1

Realistic reach. How about a turbo R985 into a modern GeeBee. Probably look more like a Seafury.

Running a Lancair or Glasair with whatever you could come up with. If you had the parts, what about a turbo GO-520/550 Continental or turbo IGO 540 Lycoming.

Bring it back, the Nemesis NXT; stuffing 1000 cid on 45” of boost.

N804RV

HBA Supporter
Lancair Legacy, a trailer full of custom built Continental TSIO-550s, the best crew chief, lots of ground crew, a full machine shop, and a very understanding wife. And, oh yeah, lots and lots of practice!

TFF

I believe you on the R985, but can we make it run 10 hours? Not that blow it up is my style, but win is win. Plastic trophy is all that matters.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
2 big block aluminum V8's in the DO-335 configuration. Steel tube fuselage, composite flying surfaces. Gear retracts into fuselage.
Oh I'm sorry, I thought you were asking how to win Sport Class AND beat the fastest Unlimited speeds on 1000 cubic inches... and still not have it all blow up in your face or be too difficult to fly.

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I dont think that you need actual big inches unless forced induction is outlawed. A LSX iron race block can go to 2500+ HP with 500 CI. I also remember a certain turbo V6 that was scaring the hell out the the big engines in Pro Stock drag racing in the mid1980's (Buddy Ingersoll).

Tiger Tim

2 big block aluminum V8's in the DO-335 configuration. Steel tube fuselage, composite flying surfaces. Gear retracts into fuselage.
1000 cubic inch turbocharged Mountain motor in a slightly enlarged composite GP-5 type airframe, slightly swept wing. 2500hp pretty easy.
My head is about half way between these two. Huge displacement V8 on the nose, tube fuselage, composite flying surfaces, shoulder wing, no fuel or other systems in the wing, gear retracts into the fuselage. I figure I’m not good enough to get it right on the first try so that basic configuration ought to give the most flexibility for modification including big stuff like shimming wing incidence or replacing flying surfaces altogether.

Basically a smaller, more refined Mr. Smoothie.

rv6ejguy

HBA Supporter
I don't think an LS based engine will last the requisite amount of time at that hp level to complete a weekend of racing. Of course you wouldn't need anywhere near 2500 hp to beat the fastest Lyconental powered aircraft presently winning in Sport Class. The two new designs I mentioned were both planning to use supercharged LS engines.

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Going back to the concept of throwing a lot more power at an established cutting edge racer (NXT), I thought there was someone flying a PT-6 powered NXT with something like 1100 SHP. Anybody know how fast that one goes down low? Turbines not relevant to Reno, but might be a quick validation of the concept (big power on existing airplane)

rv6ejguy

HBA Supporter
It seems pretty clear that slicked a up Legacy, Glassair or Venture have close to the same drag as an NXT. They've all exceeded 420+ mph on telemetry on the straight stretches or in testing at similar DAs. Nothing particularly special about an NXT other than being pretty rare compared to the others. My customer who won in 2010 with the Venture, flew formation with Kevin and speeds were virtually the same at the same power settings.

Last edited:

WonderousMountain

Enlarged DA-11 with my Stagger Four v75° engine,
enlarged with 7 Bladed propfan (Sourceress Style).
The experimental Quill linear Preload valvetrain
makes near peak torque throughout target Hertz.
It will shake, emphatically.

Last edited: