How wide for a side-by-side?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

How wide should a side-by-side cockpit be in a light, two-seat homebuilt?

• 34" / 86 cm

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 36" / 91 cm

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • 38" / 97 cm

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 40" / 102 cm

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • 42" / 107 cm

Votes: 12 25.5%
  • 44" / 112 cm

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • 46" / 117 cm

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • 48" / 122 cm

Votes: 14 29.8%
  • Other (explain in a post)

Votes: 4 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I'll make this quick. Our own Ron W. has done some great work over the years documenting actual cockpit dimensions of homebuilt aircraft. I like the VP-2, but pretty much everyone agrees that it's a bit too small even in open-cockpit mode and even worse if enclosed. So, for light two-seat homebuilt (think LSA or European microlight), how wide should the cockpit really be?

TFF

46-48”. That’s two seat plane 150, RV7, Grumman AA1. I’m broad shouldered. I usually have to put one arm behind the other seat if not flying. 52”would feel like a king. Aero will Is another story. If you are building for anyone who might want a ride, it can’t be tighter. Even if everyone is 150 lbs, room makes people happy.

TFF

I correct my self. 150 is 37 at the top and 35 at the hip. AA1 is 40. Just did a quick measure. For me 44 is the only way I’m not touching shoulders. I will fly a 150 with someone; not much fuel if legal.

Toobuilder

Log Member
Not enough information. Is this dimension bounded by cost, producibility, market penetration or is it a one off for you.

In other words (as always), what are the requirements? Define that and you have your answer.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Deliberately left open, Toobuilder, just trying to a get a sense of perception. I did say that we are talking about LSA/microlight here, so relatively light and small with modest power.

I am curious about folks replying with 48" since that's far larger than even typical factory-built aircraft until you get up to something like a Cherokee 6/Seneca/Saratoga. Are folks really willing to give up, say, 5 knots of cruise speed for those extra inches?

Toobuilder

Log Member
But you can't leave that "open"... My answer for something to appeal to the mass market will be different than if I was looking for speed, or light weight, or manufacturing efficiency... You are asking the philosophical equivalent of "how long is a piece of string?".

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Not really, like I said, just trying to get a sense of what people perceive as "wide" in a two-seat, side-by-side light plane.

Pilot-34

5 knots ?
In a heart beat !
Where are the real numbers ?
56 is crowded 60 is the bottom end of comfortable.
If I’m going to build it for me it’s gonna be comfortable

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I could sacrifice some width in a two-seater if I knew I would only be taking a (skinny) passenger occasionally, if I could do the drag trade-off calculation to see how much speed and/or range it would buy me. I think this is what Toobuilder is getting at. 42"-44" is pretty good for cruising, though, if that's the most important consideration. I've not flown a Cirrus, but the listed 49" sounds downright luxurious compared to what I'm used to.

Have you set up a couple of chairs and sat down next to a "passenger" with a piece of cardboard leaned up against your shoulders to measure a comfortable width? Seems to me a crude mockup is in order.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Just to mention it: Frontal area doesn't need to be a predominant factor in total drag in cruise if we pay attention to the shape of the airframe. Autoreply posted some pix of a sleek but spacious side-by-side sailplane when I was ribbing him about the sofa-width cabin he was specifying for his version of the Beetlemaster.

And a small gripe for Cessna: Okay, you made this C-152 cockpit 39" wide to reduce weight and frontal area. Got it. So why is the cabin so tall? I'm 5'11" and I could wear a top hat in here. How about moving about 4" of this height to the cabin width?

Hephaestus

48" for two, unless I'm riding with a beanpole who doesn't mind getting very friendly... I'm taking at least 25-26" of that - however 23-24ish is possible if sidestick, ergonomics are well thought out and I'm not reaching around a bunch to grab carb heat, mixture etc (think HOTAS)

Mad MAC

Looking at this list there are a number of production GA that are 48" wide Piper Saratoga, Piper Seneca & Cessna Corvalis . There are some GA aircraft that went faster when the cabin was widened.

As for cabin height I get sick of banging my head on the canopy, some of us have short legs & a long back.

lear999wa

My design is for a 3 seat/semi staggered 138cm 54.5” wide at the hips. The canopy does bulges out slightly to allow for a few extra inches elbow room on either side. It should be cosy inside with all seats filled.

Grelly

If you are designing something, you could always stagger the two seats enough that shoulders, elbows and hips don't need the same space.

To answer your question, I guess I am about medium width-wise and I find a C172 adequate. So 42 inches would be my design goal.

Pilot-34

If my son and I are sitting in the 172 we have to sit staggered I can’t imagine designing something from the get-go with the word adequate involved.