how to remove ward-aero wind driven generator

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

xqsme

Hello everybody. I want to remove the ward-aero wind driven generator on my Luscombe 8A. I can handle the nuts and bolts part of it, it's what to do with the wires. :ermm:
I want to take the voltage regulator out too. Just wandering do I connect the wires, leave them, or what. I will leave the battery. YES I want to get rid of it, sounds like a Stuka dive bomber on final.
thanks,
dennis:speechles

Matt G.

You should discuss this with your A&P mechanic, as this is not something that falls under the 'preventative maintenance' as per FAR43 that an aircraft owner can legally do.

xqsme

No generator. 2 hour flight is about it for me. Battery charger. My A/P has never seen a wind generator.

Wanttaja

No generator. 2 hour flight is about it for me. Battery charger. My A/P has never seen a wind generator.

All wires that went to the regulator or generator should be removed from the point they attach inside the aircraft. You could just leave the wires, but there's always the potential (Ha! I crack myself up!) that one could touch ground and short out the battery.

The contact points for your battery charger should remain, of course. My Fly Baby has a socket under the fuselage that connects directly to the battery; I just have a matching plug and hook up a charger if needed.

Of more consideration is the aircraft paperwork. I presume this generator was installed on an STC, which is noted in your logbooks. Should be a notation by your A&P that the STC'd equipment was removed. If it was installed on a 337, your A&P should know what kind of log entry is needed. Probably just a notation as to returning the aircraft to the original configuration.

Ron Wanttaja

xqsme

Ron,
Thanks for the reply. I'm a all right mechanic, but, when it comes to electrical or plumbing, I ani't to hot. I can not find a mention of the generator in the logs.

Wanttaja

Ron,
Thanks for the reply. I'm a all right mechanic, but, when it comes to electrical or plumbing, I ani't to hot. I can not find a mention of the generator in the logs.
Well, in THAT case, you probably don't have a legal installation, anyway. So all the better if you remove it. :)

Trying to guide you remotely is probably a bad idea, but let me take a shot. It's a bit tough without knowing all the details of your setup. Anyway, here's a diagram showing a typical GA alternator setup:
alter4.gif
Assume the round object marked "Alternator" is your wind generator. you'll want to remove the wind generator and the regulator, plus the wires between them. Remove the other wire that runs from the wind generator to the 12V bus (see a couple of paragraphs below). Remove any ground wires from the wind generator and regulator to the ground.

You'll see a wire going down from the regulator to a switch ("Alt Master"). Remove that wire. There'll be a wire leading from the other side of that switch to either a circuit breaker (as shown) or to your aircraft +12V bus. Disconnect the wire to the circuit breaker, and the wire leading from the circuit breaker to the bus.

At this point, your generator and regulator should be completely disconnected and can be mechanically removed. At this stage, there should NOT be any loose wires.

Now, you may not have something that's obviously a "Bus Bar". Technically, it's just a single point where all the electronics get connected to receive +12V power. It may just be a common bolt head; it may just be to the output terminal for the Battery Contactor (e.g., master solenoid). If, when you turn on the master switch, you hear a brief "clunk," then you've got a master solenoid. That'll help point you to the bus bar...or where the +12V is taken from.

If you don't hear a clunk, and everything powers up, then you don't have a Master Solenoid. In that case, the master switch itself controls power rather than leaving all the switching to a solenoid.

If you have switches or circuit breakers that no longer have ANY wires going to them, you can remove them. However, your Alternator switch may be paired with the battery switch.

Keep in mind that I'm no expert... I'm not an A&P, and I design satellite orbits for a living. All the above is conjecture based on common aircraft practices, and we don't know how your plane is put together. Hopefully, if I screwed up, somebody will point it out.

I've got a real long-winded story of the complete electrical rebuild I did on my own airplane:

New Electrical System

I have a generator, not an alternator, but most of the details will be the same.

BTW, you should be able to get a good price for the used wind generator. A lot of folks seem to be looking for one.

Ron Wanttaja

pwood66889

Ron's diagram is spot on, Dennis, but... Did you say your Luscombe has a starter? If so, you'll have to modify the drawing some what. Still interested in no log mention of wind gen. Could it have been original to the airframe? Roger the checking for legalities with a knowledgable A&P w/IA!
Percy (A&P) in SE Bama

Joe Fisher

I think that kind of generator on a certified airplane is supposed to have a blade brake so the pilot can stop his fan at any time. They usually have what looks like a parking brake "T" handle.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
I think that kind of generator on a certified airplane is supposed to have a blade brake so the pilot can stop his fan at any time. They usually have what looks like a parking brake "T" handle.
Are you sure about that? My dad's old Aeronca Chief had exactly that kind of generator - same prop and everything - and no blade brake whatsoever.