• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

How to Make (or Buy) Plexiglas Covers for Wingtip Lights

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Scheming out my wingtips and the Plexiglas covers that go over them. So, given that the airplane is a one off, and the tips are compound convex shapes (much like the ones used on RV's). They will be about 10" long, 10" wide, and about 5" deep. So let's get into PROVEN methods of how:

Do we make or buy, and why?
If we are to buy, Please supply recommended shops. Extra points for SE Michigan;
If we are to make:
Do I attempt to simply drape frame over a male mold?
Do I make an over-height male mold, then heat the sheet in a frame and then stretch form?
Do I vacuum assist onto the male mold?
Should I go female mold and vacuum assist into the mold?
What thickness would you use for the sheet?

I am also figuring that I will have to work it out, and when it does work, then I can put in the offset in the tip molds and build tips, then maybe iterate... I would like to reduce the "development" by using PROVEN methods.

So, let's hear it.

Billski

Back