Quantcast

How to make a propeller driven aircraft go really fast ?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Dan Thomas

I don't think torque is a big problem. We have RC models with enough thrust to hover vertically. The pilot hardly notices torque with a tiny bit of aileron.
WW2 warbirds had problems with it. Some had to limit the initial takeoff power until they had enough airspeed to control the roll.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Some had to limit the initial takeoff power until they had enough airspeed to control the roll.
They probably need a bunch of right rudder, but I doubt it's worth going contra-rotation. One Reno racer had contra-rotation, I don't remember if it was worth it. The short blades and hub drag on that look terrible to me.

TFF

Rivets would be cool, but if you update to be the fastest, it would morph into the fastest looking ones today.

Speedboat100

Rivets would be cool, but if you update to be the fastest, it would morph into the fastest looking ones today.

Why ...none of those have a T-tail...nor a swept wing ?

Rivets had a post was era wing foil.

Steve C

One Reno racer had contra-rotation
There have been 3. Red Baron, Precious Metal and Miss Ashley II.

I read about Critical Mass having trouble as originally built where it didn't have enough rudder to use full power on takeoff. Somebody designed a new fin/rudder and it solved the problem.
Roll control is not generally a problem. Rare Bear has tiny ailerons.

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I looked up Precious Metal record on wiki and didn't see any gold wins.
You're right. I don't think it achieved its full potential before it was destroyed in a fire.
1601753788243.png

Speedboat100

I think the counterrotating prop comes to play when you no longer can extend the pro size and their amount.

Speedboat100

rv6ejguy

robust

Pedalling has taken man at 144 km/h ( 89 mph ) and solar power high nearly 300 km/h....and put them together and you get 144+300= 444.
[/ QUOTE]
Your arithmetic is not correct. You can't add it like that. Drag is proportional to the square of the speed.

Speedboat100

I agree you cannot....or you can, but it does not hold water.

Pedalling would bring around 2-5% more power to a light system and solar power 10% of the needed energy to fly efficiently.....or rather practically.

You still need the 85% from the batteries ( or other system ).

If you fly solar and pedal power alone you are restricted to speeds of 30-50 km/h ( faster at high 80-100 km/h even ).

Last edited:

poormansairforce

I agree you cannot....or you can, but it does not hold water.

Pedalling would bring around 2-5% more power to a light system and solar power 10% of the needed energy to fly efficiently.....or rather practically.

You still need the 85% from the batteries ( or other system ).

If you fly solar and pedal power alone you are restricted to speeds of 30-50 km/h ( faster at high 80-100 km/h even ).
How did you manage to get soooo far off topic on your own thread???