How to know Lycoming part number

Discussion in 'Firewall Forward / Props / Fuel system' started by bifft, Jan 24, 2012.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jan 24, 2012 #1

bifft

bifft

bifft

Getting to the finishing stages on my RV-8A, and have question for the knowledgable posters here regarding engine parts. I have a Lycoming O-360A1D that I purchased used for a good price, but it is missing the flywheel/ring gear. I'm trying to buy a replacement, but how do I know what part number to order?

Looking at:
    http://www.lycoming.textron.com/utility/global-resources/Lycoming Engines Parts Price List 2012.pdf
    I find lots of parts labeled "SUPPORT ASSY-STARTER RING GEAR" for very high prices.

Cheaper is:
    http://www.airtecinc.us/aircraft/index.html
    which looks like the part on engines I have seen elsewhere. Lots cheaper too.

How can I know what part number I need? Do I need to buy the Lycoming overhaul manual or something?

Thanks for any help you have.

2. Jan 24, 2012 #2

wally

wally

wally

Hi,
    What I did is buy the licoming parts catalogue and maintenance manual. They are not very expensive.

http://www.esscoaircraft.com/

One thing the maint. manual or shop manual helped me with was pushrod length. Most Lycomings have hydraulic cam lifters and the rocker arm clearance is adjusted by different length pushrods. I had to buy some used ones to get the right clearance.

I also had to buy a starter ring gear. I found one used at a place near Dallas. Not cheap, I think $250. And I even had to fix it. The steel ring gear was loose on the aluminum "flywheel". It is still working so here is what I did. I got the ring gear off, cleaned up the disk/flywheel, warmed the ring gear in the oven, applied a coat of JB Weld to the flywheel and put the warm ring gear on.

Your mileage may vary.

Best wishes,
    Wally

3. Jan 24, 2012 #3

TFF

TFF

TFF

Make sure the ring gear and the teeth on the starter are the right match. Mixing them messes them up. Just a guess but you probably need the 144 tooth ring.

4. Jan 26, 2012 #4

Dan Thomas

Dan Thomas

Dan Thomas

There are two tooth pitches. 144, is one and I think the other is 122. The Lyc dealer needs to know which, and it should be able to determine it from the starter part number.

Does the OP need just the ring itself or the whole wheel? The rings aren't all that expensive and are easily enough installed. Chill the wheel in the freezer and warm the ring in a 250°F oven. Drop the hot ring onto the cold wheel and let it sit for a few minutes. Get the ring on the right way around, with the chamfered ends of the teeth facing the starter.

Dan

5. Jan 26, 2012 #5

bifft

bifft

bifft

Ordered the manual from upthread, should help with other engine stuff as well. I expect my starter is for a 144 tooth wheel, I need both the gear and the "support assembly" or flywheel. I don't nessecarily need the exact one it came with, does anyone know if different models will fit? There seem to be a wide variety available, with number of rings to drive accessory belts, etc.