How to get rid of those "Pesky" drones.

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by blane.c, Aug 20, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Aug 23, 2019 #21

Derswede

Derswede

Derswede

On the low altitude ones, a potato gun with a water filled tennis ball trailing a couple of lines of what I call foundation marker string may do the trick. I heard about one used in a neighborhood that had a guy using one to spy on neighbors. potato guns are relatively quiet to boot. For a "harder" target, take the water filled tennis ball and freeze it. Just don't shoot it in areas with people, as velocities get scary as do impact forces.

There was one that was shown which used a tennis ball looking load, 4 of them with a net connected between the balls, some method of spin was used to get the net deployed. Good at short range, but not good for more than a hundred meters or so.

Derswede

2. Aug 23, 2019 #22

blane.c

blane.c

blane.c

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I wonder how long a troop of trap shooters would hang out for sport?

3. Aug 24, 2019 #23

litespeed

litespeed

litespeed

No offence intended....

But it seems to me as a Australian, that Americans have never found a problem they think can't be solved by the use of guns.

A bit like having only a hammer, so everything gets treated as a nail.

Hephaestus likes this.
  4. Aug 24, 2019 #24

Pops

Pops

Pops

When comes to life or death, you will use anything that works. Facing death can change your thinking.
    Try being in most large citys at nighttime by yourself. Heck, now its not just the large cities, and it can be dangerous in the daytime.

Not to long ago, in my 70's I had to defend myself with I stopped to get fuel for the car in the middle of the day.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  5. Aug 24, 2019 #25

litespeed

litespeed

litespeed

It does seem to be a major problem and not just with the constant mass killings.

I do not know how you can solve it when there seems to be more guns than people.

I have had to face it, because I was unarmed and the thief had no expectations I would be, he left with the cash after roughing me up. Yes he had a gun, but we rarely have gun toting crimes kill because they know they have the advantage.

If we had lots of guns in public it would be a different outcome.

6. Aug 25, 2019 #26

pwood66889

pwood66889

pwood66889

`Twould indeed, Lite. Visited with a flying chum today. He has a safe-full of shooters, and a carry permit. Welcome to NW FL, USA...
    Percy

blane.c likes this.
  7. Aug 25, 2019 #27

Pops

Pops

Pops

This is an open carry state. No permit needed. Go in Wall-Mart or any place and lots of people open carrying just like the police. Makes me feel safer. If someone wanted to shot someone, they would be far out gunned in a NY heartbeat.

I live in a county of 5808 people and everyone has several guns and almost zero crime. If you lose your wallet on the street, it will beat you home. Happen to my daughter.

blane.c likes this.
  8. Aug 28, 2019 #28

Derswede

Derswede

Derswede

Been shot at in 3 countries, none being the US. I think that active jamming may be worth looking at. I was given an RF jammer more designed for cell phones, but this one covers WiFi and GPS freqs as well. Not sure if it works, not sure I want to try it either! Moderately illegal per the FCC.

Derswede

9. Aug 29, 2019 #29

Steve C

Steve C

Steve C

Given that so far that consumer drones aren't actually killing anyone, maybe the effort should be spent elsewhere. Auto accidents will be ahead in this statistic for as long as I live, yet I still see people texting and driving every day. Heck, 51 people killed thier child by leaving them locked up in a hot car in the US last year.

For some reason the media and FAA are trying to scare the public about drones.

10. Aug 30, 2019 #30

blane.c

blane.c

blane.c

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I'm just joking about them, they are fine to me. Except of course anything sinister. People commit suicide by car everyday too, they just pull into oncoming traffic and pftt. There isn't any statistics because hard to prove but those in the business know it happens. You are just three feet from death every time you pass an oncoming car.