How to get rid of those "Pesky" drones.

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by blane.c, Aug 20, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Aug 20, 2019 #1

blane.c

blane.c

blane.c

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

2. Aug 21, 2019 #2

pwood66889

pwood66889

pwood66889

Boy, Howdy... :)
    "Coming to an airfield near you"

3. Aug 21, 2019 #3

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

So... Throwing large quantities of lead at ballistic speeds at small objects where the backdrop has moving aircraft.

Genius! Shoot down airliners and kill people on the ground to knock down a drone.

4. Aug 21, 2019 #4

blane.c

blane.c

blane.c

Yes! That will encourage travel in private planes and reduce the desire for people to build around airports.

5. Aug 21, 2019 #5

Himat

Himat

Himat

One of several systems now offered to do the task of denying light UAV’s area access. A niche market for air defence systems. With rapidly evolving products from many providers. As with all weapon – countermeasure races there are catches at both sides. This one can trace and engage targets with a speed lower than 65km/h. Ok, make the UAV fixed wing and doing 70km/h and it is out of the engagement envelope.

The basic trouble with “drones” is that they are cheap, simple to modify and the technology base wide spread. Do the fixed site countermeasure try to “fry” the electronics, then harden the electronics in the UAV against electromagnetic radiation. A countermeasure against the most used protocols for “drone” communication, make a proprietary communication protocol. Countermeasure with barrage jammer on the most used command link frequency, use a different frequency. Make that frequency close to something that better not be jammed and that defence option is side-lined.

Next step is to go for a hard kill by the defender, but as said that can be difficult in a built-up area. Pretty soon the defence is moving toward an IADS with an IADS price tag. (Integrated Air/Area Defence System)

6. Aug 21, 2019 #6

blane.c

blane.c

blane.c

I always wondered … why not just pirate the drone away from the offender with superior radio electronics? Or maybe in some cases just give it back to them.

7. Aug 21, 2019 #7

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

Preprogrammed courses. My hobby grade drone is happy to run a preprogrammed course with 0 intervention from rc.

Red Jensen likes this.
  8. Aug 21, 2019 #8

Himat

Himat

Himat

Compromising the command link is possible and is one feature many of these anti “drone” systems. It does work if the command link protocol is known, the link is not encrypted and the link radio frequency can be found. And of course the “drone”, or rather UAV is command link guided. A blank on any of these and this counter measure do not work.

GPS spoofing is a variation on the theme, make the UAV get a false GPS position. Does not work if the UAV have other navigation systems and may have adverse effects on everything else that need GPS in the area.

blane.c likes this.
  9. Aug 21, 2019 #9

12notes

12notes

12notes

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I don't think there's a propeller driven drone made that can detect or is impervious to fishing line.

blane.c likes this.
  10. Aug 21, 2019 #10

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

The RFP I worked on with a team we actually figured a weighted fishing net made the most sense. Bonus you capture the drone for investigation.

Prop hits a net it's getting Tangled in. No more flying. No getting out without cutting.

Challenge was getting the net where it belongs (think banner towing but needing the banner at specific location) + catch detection.

11. Aug 21, 2019 #11

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

I was at an unmanned systems conference in Chicago a while back. They had a drone hunting drone (transponder/ADS-B equipped for collision avoidance) fitted with a net-firing system. It was pretty awesome.

12. Aug 22, 2019 #12

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Sounds cool, we can probably look forward to unauthorised 'test' videos on youtube.

13. Aug 22, 2019 #13

Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey

In some places they train falcons to take down drones.
    You have to admit, robots VS raptors sounds pretty metal.

Derswede likes this.
  14. Aug 22, 2019 #14

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

Seeing as they are developing it in partnership with one (or more) government agencies (I don't remember which one they mentioned), I don't know if it would be "unauthorized". They didn't strike me as the "cowboy" types.

15. Aug 22, 2019 #15

Himat

Himat

Himat

Depending on the objective for those operating the “offensive” UAV (“drone”) a hunter UAV with a net may or may not stop the offender reaching their objective. A hunter UAV may catch surveillance UAV’s in the net. But then, “drones” are cheap and the defender could be outnumbered at least for a short period. Then the offender get to peek inside the restricted area.

If the objective is to cause disruption like on Gatwick airport, the hunter UAV do not work. The air traffic will have to be shut down during the aerial combat between intruder and hunter over the airfield. In this case a UAV slightly faster, slightly more manoeuvrable and with longer endurance than the hunter will probably make the combat last the longest…

16. Aug 22, 2019 #16

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

I don't know about Norway, but here in the US, you get near something that sensitive (i.e., military installations) and it's likely to be met with gunfire. Not that there are many places where truly sensitive things are going to be visible to a drone that aren't able to be seen with a satellite.

The maneuverability issue would be less of an issue as it don't think this is intended as a "take off in front of the target and let them know you're coming" sort of thing. It had a catapult system so it could be fired from a multitude of spots and could "lock on" before making a high speed intercept.

17. Aug 22, 2019 #17

Himat

Himat

Himat

If there are places that sensitive that an intruder is met with gunfire in Norway I do not know. Could be, but I have never heard of any shooting to keep people away from a place in Norway. (Side note, messed up politics usually are far more secret than anything military.) During a large NATO exercise there was a no fly zone, but the public reason was danger to low flying helicopters and aircraft. The possibility of surveillance was treated like in real conflict, something that had to be expected and dealt with, only without any shooting.

I have seen the PR videos of some of those net throwing devices. As far as I see they have a limited area coverage and that drives cost up if a large area has to be defended. On the other side, that large number help against the number one tactic to defeat defences against drones, outnumber the defences.

18. Aug 22, 2019 #18

Pops

Pops

Pops

2 drones on the end of a long, high net made from fishing line sweeping the area. Think fishing net.

19. Aug 22, 2019 #19

Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey

Those "active denial" microwave emitters that make you feel like you're on fire are also good against electronics. You could set up a dozen of them that fire at harmless levels all concentrate fire at the same target at once. Same way they use beams of radiation to kill tumors without harming much of the surrounding tissue.
    Near lightspeed weapons make firing solutions super easy since the motion of the target is the only variable you need to calculate for.

Charles_says and SVSUSteve like this.
  20. Aug 23, 2019 #20

pwood66889

pwood66889

pwood66889

I have considered a fishing net with weights around the perimeter to replace the tail gun. Might work when missiles are employed after you. You need more nets than the intercept crew has rockets though...