• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

How to do what I want without using a 3LS design ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbarnes

In the initial design conception of a homebuilt project I want to start.

Concept: 2 person twin engine side by side with easy egress, e.g. Velocity / Cessna single, and a hard core approach to flight safety and operations.
We can argue all day about 1 engine vs 2 engine. I want 2 engines when flying at night. Period. I hate flying at night in a single engine airplane.

That locks in 2 engines into the design. Now we have the danger of VMC in a twin and the whole reason for the old saying "the 2nd engine is out there to fly you to the scene of the accident"

A twin engine canard can be designed easily to pitch buck before VMC is reached, e.g. Twin Velocity - but I dont like the safety you give up with the flat relatively high speed approaches of a canard.

So we end up with a 2 engine pusher 3LS design to get the no VMC safety of a canard and the low speed efficiency of being able to put flaps on the canard and main wing and a traditional elevator out back.
Think twin engine Eagle 150 that isn't fugly

Having come up with that brilliant idea I've been researching the web and this site and reading everything I could on the subject and it seems like I have the right idea, but implementing it will be hella hard to near impossible for someone of my non-existent engineering experience.

And finally to the point .... how else could you make a twin with no VMC in a conventional design with cabin accessibility of Cessna 177RG cabin ?
I know the Boomerang, but something like that looks even hard to design, fabricate, and make work than a 3LS...

Back