Quantcast

How to do what I want without using a 3LS design ?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Try to save a lot of risk, trouble, and heartache by avoiding driveshafts. It can be hard to make the drag gods happy with bluff engines near the props, but those who ignore the history are doomed to repeat it. Or, maybe have a big breakthrough. The former is much more likely.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Did I hear someone mention BeetleMaster ?

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Some of these planes look like a design exercise to increase frontal area and wetted area as much as possible.

cheapracer

Log Member
The Jabiru Twin is pretty much a 3LS, engines close together too ...

jabiru twin engine - Google Search

Boomerang style twin is the best twin configuration we know of. Its total lack of symmetry bothers some folks. Symmetry is over rated - no human has symmetry.
I laugh at the "symmetry" of any single engine aircraft that clearly has asymmetrical torque.

rbarnes

One of my hold ups is having to climb over a wing and go through some circus contortionist act to get in and out of the plane.
What about a pusher layout the puts the engines close together to reduce VMC as much as possible and forward swept mid fuselage wing to put the wing spar behind the 2 seats and allow easy entry through Velocity style/size doors ? I cant find much on forward swept wings other than that they stall from the outside in, which is bad...

Thoughts ?

Excuse the crude MS paint drawing
forwrdswp.jpg

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Unless you've got a good idea of the weights of everything and where the CG comes out, it's probably too early to know if you'd need a forward swept wing.
The faster you go, the more that diversion of the tips ( their tendency to twist to higher AoA) would be an issue for a forward swept wing. You said you want to go pretty fast, so that means more weight in construction to keep the wing stiffer. Not relevant, but I don't care for the way they look, but that"s not a worthwhile data point for you.
Props located directly behind the wheels tend to take a beating.

Last edited:
Reactions: BJC