• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

How to choose the tapered ratio for AR=4 horizontal tail?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anna Tian

[FONT=宋体] [/FONT]Hi,

[FONT=宋体] [/FONT]

I use conventional tail. The horizontal tail has AR=4. Since it stalls too early (AoA for CLmax is too small), I’d like to taper it so that its root has a lower AR thus could stall at a higher AoA. I’m wondering how to calculate the tapered ratio I need to put on it?

[FONT=宋体] [/FONT]

What’s the drawback of tapering it?

[FONT=宋体] [/FONT]

I'm also wondering, after I taper it, shall I swept it? What are the advantages and disadvantages if I make it forward swept (to have a straight leading edge) or backward swept it (to have a straight trailing edge), or not swept at all? What are the considerations?

[FONT=宋体] [/FONT]

Last edited:
Back